E-LOGS

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bumpy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I have to admit, when EOBR's were first being talked about as a serious thing several years ago, I swore that I would quit driving if I had to use one. Couldn't see how one could make any money.

Well, my carrier finally put one in my truck last December. Figured I would try the thing before I actually pulled my truck and went elsewhere. Results? February was a very good month and March was my highest net month in over 3 years. Always got home when time came.

Sure, there have been a couple of occasions when I had to change delivery time. But I knew it early on when I got the load, so making the change wasn't a real big issue. If I would have waited to somewhere in the middle or end of the run, then it might have been more of a problem.

Those that are crying over EOBR's have not really experienced them. I didn't have to make any big adjustments to what I am doing. I do tend to use the 8 and 2 split a lot more than I did before. I still get my showers and eats while on the road without screwing up my delivery/pickup times.

Oh... and those that can't seem to find a place to park or claim they will not be able to move when the are empty at a delivery? EOBR's have "off duty - driving" option. Yep, just like regular logs, and legal per FMCSA, if you are not under a load and not doing something related to the business, then the truck can be driven "off duty" without having to log driving. Now you can go find a place to park for the night. True, some companies will not allow their company drivers to use this option because of insurance or whatever, but it is legal and is available. Whether it is to go get a bite or find a place to camp out.

But the better carriers will have loads preplanned so that a person will not have to sit around somewhere waiting after 5 pm. I always have my next load planned well before I get the one I am under delivered. But then, I hardly ever do grocery warehouses and similar places that like to add in lots of delays.

chalupa, ECU51 and Bumpy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Madbull

Madbull Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Girard, IL
    Wow I just re read my own post and I apologize for sounding like a real crank.

That being said I am still not a fan of these # all as stated above weird appointment hours can really mess this up as far as finding parking is concerned. Sure 10 + 10=20 no matter how you cut it i can agree with that. But as mentioned you have to change appointments or can't completely utilize your driving time.
    Some brokers and/or customers charge the company for changed or late appointments.

The company I currently work for is small. We only have 30 trucks total and as a close knit group have been monitoring what has been going on.

A recent observation is that with more and more large companies going to these devices we are getting more and more calls from the same companies brokerage firms wanting us to haul the loads since they are unable to guarantee on time delivery.

Now don't read that wrong we are not forced nor asked to run illegal. But our trucks will run the speed limit and we all have the big C15 with all the horses in tact. And we have "wiggle" room if we need it.

I am with OOIDA on this one it will force out the small independents who make a living covering all those "good companies" freight that they can't seem to get there on time.

The government has looked at this wrong from the start there are only 3 reasons a driver cheats his logs. money, home time, parking. Fix these 3 things and everything else will fall into place.

Those in favor of these devices I am glad they work for you but just be cautious of getting what you wish for. And look at the potential trickle down effect on the economy, jobs, and inflation due to higher freight rates and remember driver wages have not really increased in a long time.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't see the EOBR's increasing driver pay. In fact, it could have the opposite effect if the driver doesn't manage his time well.

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Madbull, I am not sure you are correct. EOBR mandate will not force out the smaller carriers or independents who now cover loads for the big carriers that can't make it. You will still be able to pull those loads. Speed of the truck won't change with an EOBR. Or maybe you are confusing an EOBR mandate with a Speed limiter mandate. I am on EOBR, but my truck can still bury the speedometer if I chose to do it. With EOBR, I have not had any problem covering the same loads I did with paper and my NET for March was the best I have seen in almost 3 years.

You have to keep in mind, that most of the drivers for those "large" carriers you are pulling more loads for, do not know squat about managing their time. The carrier I am with has around 300 trucks, with about 80 of those as company trucks. Seems like the company drivers have the biggest issues about being able to get the job done. Guess that is why my carrier is downsizing the company trucks and putting on more O/O. Speed of my truck has really nothing to do with me being able to always cover my loads. I usually run between 62 and 65 with my truck on EOBR, and I have no problem. Can't understand why the big carriers with their trucks governed at roughly the same speed can't make it. About the only time I really step into the throttle is to get around one of those choked back company trucks.

This same "sky is falling" fear is the same I heard when the CDL kicked in back in '92. And again with the HOS change of '03. I will concede that it isn't going to make any of our lives easier for the most part, and we all will agree that it really won't make the world safer, but we will adapt as we have in the past. I have been able to adapt to it, and if I can, most everyone else will have few problems. I don't like it, don't want it, but an EOBR mandate is "in the cards" in the future. Now, I could have just cried in my beer over getting an EOBR put in my truck, turn tail and ran, or I could find ways to make it all work. I didn't turn tail and run when in the Army so I chose to learn how to work around any restrictions with an EOBR. Now when any EOBR mandate comes down the pike, I am already ahead of the curve.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  6. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Now that CSA is implemented we all know and see that this statement is false. Only violations count towards CSA score and only inspections that are writen up count.

7. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    From the O/O prospective this is really just a cost issue. It is one more item that I have to pay to install, maintain and pay a service fee for. As far as how I run and when I run it should have not affect on me or any O/O that runs legal with the exception on when I get stuck at Walmart for 5-hours and run out of hours. And then they don't let me park. If they don't put some rules around shipper and receivers then we could start to see some major impact. This is one thing that OOIDA is avoiding in this conversation because then you get the "so you don't want it because drivers run illegal". At minimum we should be able to get a detention exemption that allows us to get to the next safe parking place when held beyond 2-hours.

8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    From what I understand you are right--BUT--the BS little stuff--that used to be fix-it tix during an inspection now count against you!
    Now I do not consider this a problem--but what about the company guy--that picks up a pre loaded trailer--that has one top clearence light out--if you get a level one--no biggie--just marked down on report as clearence lite out or whatever--but now that goes on your csa score--althoug it is no big deal and everyone knows it--and before anybody starts with all the safety--per trip kiddie BS--we all know--that especially at the mega's--trailers get dropped messed up all the time--and most guys--trying to make a living who wouldn;t pull unsafe equipment would probably not bother getting the light fixed--and I would be willing to BET--the average mega DM etc--would tell them to go with it and if they did go to get it fixed--would probably have to fight to get reimbursed-
    Now I am all for stricter enforcement--there is way too much junk out there! But some of this new cvsa is just CH********T! There is a reason many of the non-oos equipment violations have been fix it tickets all these years--there is no safety issue involved--I am NOT talking of brakes tires etc.--Front Top marker lite on a trailer--being pulled by aero tractor--with full wind deflector--you can't see those trailer lites anyway!
    And now a perfectly safe driver gets a black mark on his record--it's just wrong
    I could site 1000 other examples of things that would never affect the safe operation--and have never been considered violations--and now are---
    This really does need to be addressed! IMHO--points should be awarded only for OOS violations--and maybe increase the number of things that can put you OOS---
    The simple fact is--there are many very professional DOT types--THEY KNOW the marker light isnt a big deal--and tell you so--but it does have to be dealt with--so they write it up! Always have--no big deal but it is now--
    Just my $.02!

9. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

I think this would all fall under "Cost of doing business"

ELOGS/EOBR's are/will be going to be Industry wide with out exception
    If your running out of hrs at a receiver and you feel that you should in some way be compensated for this,,well refer back to my first line,and plan your day better,not trying to be a wise"A"

10. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    This is what I do in chemicals...... I show up, I load and I wait for the lab...when the 1 hour alarm goes off I tell the shipper to release me or I have to pull the pin and leave the trailer....their choice.

So far so good....no issues.

Another EOBR bonus..... Mr. Leo sees the console and says that's ok....roll on.....

Rocks Thanks this.
  11. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Why in the world would any driver want electronic logs. You have to drive when it tells you to. As soon as its required im OUT

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.