East Coast Driving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Sep 20, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Depends on the company. I do a night linehaul and do 600 miles a day, granted I only work 5 days a week but still. I've read enough stories on here about people's mileage and I actually have plenty of them beat being a local guy. A lot of what gets the otr guys is sitting and waiting at shipper/receiver or getting a load out of a particular area. I don't have that problem, I only deliver within my company so there is no wait and there is more work than I can handle so there is never a shortage of a pair of doubles waiting for me to drag them back across Florida.

Lepton1 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    "Long runs" is probably my favorite thing about trucking, will be I mean,
    Ha, I have the "Doubles and Triples" endorsement, too; seems a bit dangerous how easy/broad trucking school was to get my CDL and how I could legally haul one of those without any training whatsoever, or really any trailer to be completely honest lol luckily I'm broke as hell and can't afford the steering wheel off of a semi, let alone a tractor trailer combo.

FlaSwampRat and Intothesunset Thank this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Once you get over watching the kite (rear trailer) flop all over the highway at 80 mph in your mirrors they are fine lol. You can't brake hard because they like to slide and flip over but they are a dream to pull in a city. They follow the truck in line so you don't have to swing near as wide as you do with a long trailer. Also when you first start out and you feel the thump from the pintle hook on the dolly when you pull away from a red light you will poo your pants a lil thinking something fell apart. Lol

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Pick your battles. Go in before rush hour and be out or parked before rush hour. You don’t want to take 3 hours of dealing with heavy traffic, have a slow customer, then fight 3 hours to get out and then not have a place to park.

“What time is early, Six?”

You want to be at your destination by 0530. Day before, get within striking distance...about 100 miles or less. Time your move from your striking point (this will require you to do your homework on your destination, like what time they open the gate/any available overnight parking/truck route directions/shipping and receiving hours).

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, I love the long coast to coast runs. I'll work for less money to do that over the short or local runs. Can still make a grand or more a week on long haul.
    Here's some to consider that hire new cdl school grads:
    Celadon -> www.driveceladon.com
    Melton Truck Lines -> www.meltontruck.com
    SRT -> www.southernref.com - cdl school tuition reimbursement
    Flat Creek Transportation -> www.flatcreektransportation.com
    CFI Transport -> www.cfidrive.com
    Navajo Express -> www.navajoexpress.com
    Magnum Ltd. -> www.drivemagnum.com
    Schuster -> www.schusterco.com
    Freymiller -> www.drive4freymiller.com - cdl school tuition reimbursement
    May Trucking Company -> www.maytrucking.com
    Some of the others may also have tuition reimbursement, but don't let that be a deciding factor. Choose one that you think has the type of driving you're interested in.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    I've never see reserved at Loves.

I use the Pilot or TA apps to reserve at least a couple of times a month.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    There are ways to make money in trucking. One of the best ways is by developing the reputation for getting things done.

Despite all of the crying and moaning and scary stories from the ever present fearmongers, freight is being delivered every single day in the northeast. So, it’s not impossible. Well, it is impossible to those who refuse to plan.

Some of us have even taken superloads into the northeast. YES, IT IS A PAIN. But I’m here for the money, how about you?

starmac, Lepton1, INRUT and 3 others Thank this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Words to live by. I get it all the time on here. "#### unloading your own truck" "I wouldn't jump on the dock and help them finish the trailer" _i don't know how you drive in Miami, I would never do that". Well that's why I make what I make....

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

That depends on which "A" and which "B" you are traveling between.

farmerjohn64 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Loves doesn't have reserved parking other than the spots their shop might block off for shop customers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.