Eaton Fuller 8LL Splitter not Engaging

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by AustinDave, Aug 27, 2018.

1. AustinDave

AustinDave Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Got in the truck today and it is stuck in gear. The shifter is in neutral but the truck is in gear. When I flip the range selector works, I can hear the clunk. But when I toggle the Splitter, I hear the air but nothing else..
    I do have some oil in my wet tank , which I will be taking care of in the morning I've heard that can cause the Eaton to get all gunked up inside and cause this. Appreciate any help, ideas or opinons.

BTW, it is in 2001 KW T800 Superdump.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Pull shifter tower off and slide rail bar back to neutral. I have seen this happen with wore out towers.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  4. AustinDave

AustinDave Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2013
    SPSauerlnd, I can't thank you enough. I finally got around to getting the shift tower off and reinstalled. It WORKED! It was no easy task, working on it after work every chance I got, through that 6 inch square hole in the floorboard. Everyone I talked to, besides you, were convinced that it was a broken snap ring. That was my mechanics diagnosis as well. That would have cost me round $750 for the tow and the the cost to drop the tranny. I really appreciate that you took the time to answer my post. Thank you again so much.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    No problem. I have this happen on two different KW's with 8LL. The use the short shift tower and barely miss bottom of cab. Fixed both on side of the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.