Eaton ultrashift 10 speed fully automatic

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Mlaz Bogdanci, Aug 22, 2012.

1. VolvoISX

VolvoISX Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2013
    EddieD, I did not replace clutch yet. But I am planning to do it in March.
    I will post the condition of the clutch after replacement.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VolvoISX

VolvoISX Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Update!
    Fuel days ago, my clutch acted up and I couldn't put it back in gear, on my ultra shift.
    I disconnected the batteries, then everything worked properly.
    TODAY, I replaced the clutch at a transmission shop in Long Beach. The clutch was 100% used the rivets already started touching the inside plate.
    The other side of the clutch was about 80% used.
    The mechanic took the whole assembly apart to show me how the ultra shift clutch works.
    They finished the job in 2 hours and 45 minutes, and I paid out the door $1650.
    They installed me a new, original Eaton Fuller ultra shift clutch.
    The Volvo dealer wanted $3200 to do the job.
    So far I drove over 100 miles, everything works perfect.
    Good luck.

4. VolvoISX

VolvoISX Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2013
    BTW, I had 643,000 miles On the clutch that I replaced

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  5. Exiled

Exiled Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Good to know , thanks for the update,
    not bad at all
    i am tempted to replace the 10speed manual to ultra shift, hope it would be reasnable price too

6. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    Still on the original clutch, 844,000 miles on it, Had my mechanic look at it six months ago , he said it was 40% life left in it, whatever that means!

7. VolvoISX

VolvoISX Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Exiled, I wish I had a manual. Automatics have too many issues and electrical parts that will go bad. Next time I need a clutch, at around 1.1 million miles, I will convert it to Manual. It will cost me about $7K my mechanic said.

v6killeer, is your truck a manual? The mechanic told me that manual clutch last much longer then ultra shift clutch.
    They are totally different assambly. Yet the ultra shift clutch cost $2-300 more then manual clutch...

Exiled Thanks this.
  8. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand

Eation ultrashift 10 speed Fully Automatic !

9. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Is it possible to replace it with a manual 10/13 ? How much would cost? I seen lots of good 780s pre DPF 2007 at Arrow low mileage .

10. FaulkTrans14

FaulkTrans14 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Louisiana
    -I have a 3 pedal Eaton-Fuller auto-shift-. The truck runs fine until it gets around 55mph and has to shift from 9th into 10th. At that point it starts to loose power, sputter and stall out or down shift into 2nd. It then stays in 2nd until you turn it off. I have had the J-1939 replaced(transmission wire harness). Could it be batteries, ECM, fuel pump/pressure..?Suggestions???

11. Mitchell Headen

Mitchell Headen Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Mike, I have a 99 Mack Vision with a 10 speed eaton Generation 3 autoshift. It's a 2 pedal, upgraded from a 3 pedal. I'm having the jumping and jerking problem when I take off in 2nd or Reverse. It shifts fine, but when I'm parking, hooking up or backing to a dock, it feels like I'm popping the clutch. No one can tell me what's wrong with it. Is there a solenoid that can be replaced that will fix this jumping? I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.