eaton vorad leave it or disable it ?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Driverbb, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Driverbb

Driverbb Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Danville, Pa
    in my 11 years of driving I've had the eaton vorad system on 2 truck's everytime I've had this thing I've wanted to crash my truck into wall to make it shut up or take a hammer to it. I wish I knew away to make it stop all the #### beeping it does

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. squarebox

squarebox Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2010
    mississippi
    not hard just un hook it...i did it to a loaner truck we had while my truck was being overhauled...took bout ten minutes

4. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    This is actually the thing that helped me to learn not to tailgate (after 12 yrs of commercial driving!) and to learn about proper following distance. i actually think it's a great thing and every truck should have it.

That being stated, if you really insist there should be a fuse you could pull?

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I had to use a rental for a couple of weeks, and I actually liked the warning system, Mostly in traffic when you get cars on your blindside below the sleeper. Maybe you might get used to it and have problems when it goes away, I don't know. But I did like when I had it.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  6. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA

You actually needed a warning device to teach you not to tailgate? Common sence wasn't enough?

7. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    i would say if its a company truck, do not fool with it. should you have an accident, and the cops (DOT) do a full search of the truck, which includes plugging into the 'black box" and find you did something, the lawyers for the victims will have a field day with you and your company........

now, if its your personal truck, that YOU bought......do as you wish.......but remember, that device was installed for safety reasons. to remove it makes you open to questions from the lawyers in civil suits, as to why you thought you didn't need a safety device, which COULD HAVE PREVENTED a crash in the first place..........!!!

JReding and Autocar Thank this.
  8. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If you look most drivers follow way to close, after a while it gets to feel safe even though it is not.

Word it this way if your following me, were north of Cedar City, UT say cruising at 70, and for any or no reason at all I lock up my brakes and it cause you to panic, your following to close. Kind of like the light thing.

Safe following distance gives you room to react to what ever happens in front of you, room to avoid a collision, brake, change directions what ever. No panic just handle it as though it was a normal thing.

Following distance is something that bothers me, speed I don't really care about because following distance is the key critical thing. I catch myself creeping up on people at times, a reminder is a good thing. So if a device helps you, and your honest enough to admit it.<<removed because there was no need to prove a point not needing to be proven>>

I see driver tailgate all the time, if you bring it up to them they quickly tell they were not, or why it was ok to put someone else's life in jeopardy.

Technology to assist us, this is where they should be spending the money, not telling you when bed time is.

9. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Back off stop tailgating is how to make it shut up.

lovesthedrive, dngrous_dime and skellr Thank this.
  10. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

I drove for the company with the automatic red trucks. They liked all the electronic crap they could hang on a truck. The Eaton/Vorad collision thing on the front bumper on my truck, would just go off for no apparent reason just sitting still. I don't know, maybe it detected spirits or something. The mechs at one of the terminals took it off the truck, but there is some sort of reprogramming that has to be done. If it's not done, at least on the red companies trucks, your cruise control won't work. So, just something to keep in mind.:biggrin_25525:

11. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA

I keep a safe distance in front of me no matter where I am or what speed I am going and I leave myself an out. To me, it sounds like common sence. I do not need a device to tell me what I already know. If the vorad thing works for some folks thats fine. But if its the only way a driver knows he's safe, that driver is probably not as safe as he thinks. Mabye we all need a device that tells us how tired we are too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.