EBay Turbo for $300?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 6wheeler, Oct 27, 2020.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Anyone ever buy a turbo from eBay? I'm seeing some of these for around $350. I know someone is going to say "you get what you pay for" but that's not always true. You can spend extra money on what you think is better only to find out it wasn't any better at all. More often than not I have found that to be the case.

I have a Cat C15 3406e and I was thinking of getting the upgrade 78mm performance turbo, but I'm the slowest driver out here. Is a upgrade worth it, or is just a simple turbo good enough?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You get a turbo with cheap bearings that will shred under load, get sucked into the intake and destroy the block
    Get OEM for critical stiff like the turbo. Yes it's a lot more expensive when purchased, but it saves money in the long run.

Ruthless, Doealex, Dino soar and 2 others Thank this.
  4. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I got my Borg Warner 702 thru Summit for $585 delivered to my door. Just get a turbo to replace the one u have now. I have an 03 non emissions series 60 with a few upgrades and a normal everyday turbo is all you will need

Bean Jr., 6wheeler and mitmaks Thank this.
  5. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Well one reason I want the performance turbo is the bearings. I don't see bearings passing through the air charge cooler through the intake but I could see them breaking down. Thanks

ZVar Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Don't believe the advertisements. Those bearings are only performance when compared to the even cheaper turbos in the non-performance line from that cheap mfg.
    Bet you money that the OEM bearings are better speced than those "performance" bearings. Tighter tolerances, better seals, better metal, etc....
    And that's just the bearings. The whole turbo will be made with substandard (for OEM) parts.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I was looking at one for my bmw , but after reading some reviews people advise against chinese ones ...but i would try it for the truck since its probably just 2 hours to replace it compared to 6-7 hours on bmw. I purchased webasto 2 years ago and my buddy got chinese one for $120 ...still working fine ...just ordered wiper blades refills for my box truck from china .99 per pair shipped - can wait to be surprised what i get .

6wheeler Thanks this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I know a guy who just got a cheap turbo for his wife's Flex, lasted a couple months and decided it'd had enough. What just an intercooler runs I wouldn't try it, but nobody's ever accused me of being real afraid to spend money.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    The way that I see it you've got to stay away from anything that has Chinese bearings. And even the seals might be cheap Chinese.

Before I put my truck in service when I replaced my wheel seals I needed one bearing.

The place I deal with always gave me good parts but they sent me a Chinese bearing and I sent that thing back as soon as I got it.

No Hong Kong Phooey for critical parts.

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    China can make some very good knockoffs, but their metallurgy is less than desireable. As Dino said, stay away from things like that. But I have used other products from China with no problem, such as tire sensors, diverter valves for the A/C, etc.

User666 Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Cheapest im seeing a BW S478 is like a 1000 and one with a forged milled Comp wheel and 360° thrust bearing is ~1500

6wheeler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.