Editable ELD

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by 01blackz28, Oct 31, 2016.

1. therealist365

therealist365 Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    New Jersey
    People keep talking about eld's but it's not only the eld's that will have you parking on the shoulder or in places you aren't supposed to be, it's the shippers and receivers as well, we only get 3 hours of on duty time, which doesn't affect our drive time once those hours are up guess what our drive time hours are getting ate up by the shipper or receiver

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's not just the shipper and receiver.

Think about all the incidents that can happen to mess up your perfectly planned trip.

EXAMPLE

Last week the freeway was closed in both directions. Not just one direction because of an accident. BOTH directions. Because of a lunatic with a gun. Think of all the traffic having to detour off the freeway. Take a secondary route full of traffic lights for 10 miles to get back on the freeway.

And this was 8 at night. Imagine the delay if it would have happened during rush hour traffic.

That's just one example.

4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Exactly.

5. therealist365

Jun 20, 2012
    New Jersey
    Any AOBRD SYSTEM WILL WORK

6. therealist365

Jun 20, 2012
    New Jersey
    I agree

7. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    For what it's worth, there is a small wiggle in this example. You can drive up to an additional 2 hours over your 11 if this happens (as long as you don't go over your 14) with the adverse conditions exemption. To claim it, keep driving after the 11 even though the ELD will show a violation and use the "remarks" box to note that you were driving under the 395.2 adverse exemption.

I know that it is not a silver bullet - but many drivers don't know about it (or how to claim it) so I thought I'd mention it with your example.

snowwy Thanks this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That ONLY applies if a weather (or other) event occurs that was NOT forecasted at the time of your dispatch. If they were calling for a blizzard and then you got caught up in it, you've still only got 11 hours to drive. As to whether or not it would apply to the situation described by @snowwy is going to depend upon the occifer and HIS interpretation of whether or not that incident meets the "unusual road and traffic conditions" clause...and if he hadn't heard about the incident, you'd better be able to find a link to the news story about it.

9. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    You are correct. It has to be an unpredictable reason.

"Lunatic with a gun closing both side of the highway" is one that I would go ahead and argue with an officer if it screwed my load bad enough.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Well, now, that all depends upon where you're at. Hell, try convincing a cop that you were expecting to breeze through crashville without being delayed by a wreck. If a certain area is just crawling with looney tunes, is it really unpredictable that one might cause a delay?

But yeah, I'd be arguing that point, too, if I got caught up in it and wouldn't make it home otherwise.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Dieselboss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.