EGR code question

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Phoenix Heavy Haul, Jan 31, 2023.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    This is the updated version. The reason I ask is I had the original one on my truck since 2013 and it too once in a while did what you said. But went away. I only replaced it because of the leak on the actuator line.
    06E51DA6-545C-4818-9891-91CE1CA7229B.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    Yep that’s the one I have.
    I’m wondering if it’s not gunked up a bit in there from all the coolant and causing some resistance when opening. The u pipe had some coolant build up in it I was able to scape with a screwdriver.

4. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    that lever controls the egr valve, sometimes that valve gets stuck or doesn’t close all the way, because it suppose to close under boost. If that valve seat is gunked up with soot it can cause it to not close.

get that leak replaced, because liquid with soot causes soot to turn into chunks and might get in the way of that valve.

also if the problem persists try to remember when the cel light kicks on, is it under wide open throttle under boost or idling. Try to check the boost gauge when or if it ever lights up after the leak fix. This will give you in idea if it’s the egr valve and or actuator needs to be looked at closely. But I would try to see if that valve is clean. If you can.

This is what I’m talking about.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hZSQ6NFo3V4/mqdefault.jpg

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    Got everything tore apart today and found that it had so much coolant in the EGR valve it rusted the butterflies stuck!!
    Tested the actuator and it works fine. So im soaking the valve in white vinegar overnight to remove the rust then oil it up and see if I can save it.

Now I’m just worried about all the coolant that’s went into my dpf system

Crude Truckin', LoneRanger and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    also try some coke, that removed rust like nothing else.

Phoenix Heavy Haul Thanks this.
  7. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018

Do a couple of parked regens and it should clear up, if problem after clean DPF filters.

8. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    Do I have to have a shop clean the dpf filters or is that something I can do?
    I’ve never dealt any of that.

9. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    if your mechanically inclined you can do it, and have the space. I know one guy that cleans his own.
    Try to search YouTube and see if there are instructions on how to do it to see if you can.

DPF cleaning runs around $1200 if I’m not mistaken.

10. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Is there anyway to force a parked regen when your dpf light isn't active on the dash? Or do you have to wait for it to start flashing? DD15

11. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    I purchased a nexus tool to do a forced parked regen, since my parked regen button was turned off inside the ecm.

Amazon has them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.