ELD 150 MILES EXEMPTION

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Grouch, May 8, 2018.

1. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Hauling agriculture products, I am exempt within 150 air miles from the "source of origin". Now the problem, I do not "log in" until I reach the point where the exemption ends, but sometimes, not all the time, my ELD will show me driving and sometimes it will show me "off duty". I treat the ELD in the same manner each time, does anyone have a suggestion why the ELD shows "driving"???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bank_Lbr

Bank_Lbr Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Most likely because you were not completely logged out of the application. The transponder will still recognize driving events and if you're still logged into the application, it will record the events. Otherwise, (if you were indeed logged out of the application) the transponder recorded "unidentified driving" events while you weren't logged-in and you accepted the events as your own.

4. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Well on one trip, it showed driving down to the point where I usually log in., on the way back, I logged out at the same point and from that point home it showed me off duty. One time it records driving and then next time it shows off duty. I cant figure it out.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  5. Bank_Lbr

Apr 10, 2018
    What brand?

6. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Keep Trucking

7. Bank_Lbr

Apr 10, 2018
    The only way(s) the information would be recorded to the application, would be if you were still logged in. Or, you accepted the unidentified driving event (which can also be assigned, through the administrative portal).
    However, from the sound of it... You should be using "Personal Conveyance", while making this trip anyway.

8. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Just talked to one of our other drivers. He related that the way he did it, he logged in before he left, put all the information in and then logged back out and once he reached the 150 air miles radius he logged back in and he said he never had any problems;

9. Bank_Lbr

Apr 10, 2018
    Translation: You log-in every day. Utilize the Exception that is provided by the application. And... have the proper documentation, that you (legally) fall under that exception. Just turning it off, isn't going to cut it (when an Officer is inspecting). Then you remove the exception, when you travel outside of the 150.
    Otherwise, have fun explaining "how your Odometer went from 137,465 to 137,797" with no record. He's not going to "take your word for it."

I'm not beating you up here. I work for a completely different company. But, I see far too often that the devices/applications aren't being used correctly, leading to even more frustrations, log edits and eventually fines and OOS. I don't want that to happen to you guys.

10. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    I have yet to find this. Hey, I have no feelings that you are beating me up. The link that you provided is very helpful. Personally, I am against this exemption. I realize that farmers might need the exemption during harvest season, but milk hauling in my opinion should not be included. But it is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.