ELD Are there any silver linings

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Trulos, Apr 11, 2017.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I think that news was already posted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Oh - I didn't see it

4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I got pulled for a Level 2 inspection. Told him I had Elogs and he just said to show him today's grid. I think it simplified things for me rather than hand over a paper log.

I did pass everything with no violations :)

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    All they used to get from me. Was paper logs. Computer printed was more simplified then the dash. They didn't have to stand up to my door.

6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    He didn't even ask for a printout

7. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    I have been using KeepTruckin - NON ELD for @ 2 yrs now. twice at a stop been asked about logs, handed him my tablet, IN DOT mode. Officer said " oh your using electronic?" i told him yes and he didn't even want to see it.
    Now i love KeepTrucking because it does keep me from making a little mistake that i might make on paper with the small lines and 15 min breaks, but i don't see the point of the ELD?
    besides the many littel moves around a huge Walmart, my personal use of MY truck that no one has any right to know about, or the many little things that come up that screw up the ELD that i can fix manually.
    like my 2 hr break - say im in the door for 1 hour 43 mins and im done, customers wants me to move, but hey if i move my ELD will take to Drive and there goes my split, but with me in control i can fudge the 17 mins and still keep that 2 hour split that may need later in the day.
    You really think a customer wants to hear - " Sorry, MY Electronic Log says i can't move for another 17 mins?" you know what his answer is going to be....

8. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Our ELD from omnitracs let's us move around a yard without it changing the status. I think as long as we keep it under 20.

9. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I have been with many companies that use ELD and prefer to use ELD until my current company changed to the new standard with Keeptruckin with the ELog Box connected to truck's computer.

The 5mph limitation is killing me. Moving at 5mph or more will trigger a On Duty or Driving event. Being that I am always under dispatch, Cant use Personal Convenience. In a perfect world, i would always not have to move my truck during my 10 hour rest period. In the real world, finding parking is very hard and shippers, forces you to move your truck during your rest periods.

Many Carriers are keeping quiet about the 5mph limit and doesnt want to scare off their driver. Almost all of the Carriers using ELOG are not In compliant with the new standards because no one is require to use E-Logs at this time. In December when the ELOG mandate along with its rules comes into affect, every carriers will have to recalibrate their Elog to trigger Duty Status Change if the truck goes 5mph or faster. This new change will discourage many ELog users.

After the government have ELog in place and makes it mandatory, they will continue to regulate how Elog can be tweek and add more rules in the name of safety. The 5mph rule is just one example of this.

10. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Your company will not be in compliant in December once the ELD mandate becomes law. All carriers will have to set 5mph for inyard moves or trigger Duty Status Change

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

Why are you taking a 10 hour break at a customers lot? Its one thing to grab a couple hour nap while getting unloaded, its an entirely different thing to be trying to spend 10 hours on a customers property. That seems like a crappy way to live.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.