ELD Are there any silver linings

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Trulos, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Wheelman
    Trying to explain paper logs to these newbies in this technology driven world, is like trying to get young children to use paper, and pen, rotary phone, or hand write a letter. I am on your side 100%. This is why manufacturers are proposing autonomous trucks.

wheelman666 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA

wheelman666 Thanks this.
  4. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    If it wasn't for all the technological devices in these trucks today. Like ELD's, lane change warning devices, driver rear facing cameras, and so forth. Society has taken out in schools cursive writing, due to electronic e-signing on everything. Sad world in which we live in. Wheelman, we cannot argue with brilliance, and those whom have no idea what we went through to make a living in those days. I'd like to see this new generation live in the trucks that had "36" coffin boxes" for a sleeper, A/C was a block of dried ice in a metal box with a fan blowing to cool you somewhat, truck stops that were no bigger than a small gas station, bingo stamps, no cell phones, GPS, technology of any kind. We had to use that computer god gave us called a brain to do our jobs. We did not have smart phones with a million apps for everything from A-Z so we could function in daily life.

wheelman666 and FLCRACKER Thank this.
  5. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    I have been driving a truck for 30 years. Was a Certified Diesel Mechanic for 20 years before that. I have been on E-logs for 7 years. Have been driving trucks with automated transmissions for the last 13 years. I guess that I'm just a steering wheel holder. Do I miss an R model Mack with a camel back suspension and no power steering or A/C. Hell no.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  6. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    OK, was hoping so but wasn't sure because you had quoted my post

7. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    While i agree with you 110% on where and what these newbies don't know and will never know, i do also have to comment on what PETERD said.... I too, after 30 years, now drive an auto and use GPS. I use the Tech that i CHOOSE to use to make my life easier. I think we have done our time and paved the road, so hell why not enjoy some of the benefits ????
    BUT the difference is i DO NOT depend on that tech to survive, as i doubt PETERD does either.... as old school, we area able to pick up a map if our GPS crashes, or manage if the A/C goes down a bit. we know how to fix things on the truck and not just stare at it. we can figure out how to get the job done when we have to.
    Oh and AZ PETE - yes there are certain EXEMPTIONS that are needed, like cattle haulers, But you still keep whining that the rest of must be breaking the rules because we can't manage under an ELD that counts by the second instead of 15 min increments. automatically switches to driving if you move faster than 5 mph, so god forbid you decide there is a better parking spot once you went off duty, will no longer let us log multi stops under On Duty while in the same zip code (legal under HOS Rules) and we have to now work the way a computer tells us,
    BUT meanwhile companies like FedEx, UPS, Yellow and about 35 other companies were all granted EXEMPTIONS and you still have not addressed that aspect..... why??? because you can't. There is no justifiable reason why some driver in a FedEx truck can have an EXEMPTION but i can't. What is the safety record of FedEx?? mine is perfect.
    There is No way you will ever be able to sit there and argue the point that ELDs are good, or there is a single benefit from them for the average "SAFE" driver. They are no different than the breath analyzers the courts make you put in your car AFTER your busted for DWI. Those that show they have safety issues, yeah, MAKE THEM get ELDs, those of us that have good Safety Records, Leave us the Hell Alone !

peterd Thanks this.
  8. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Just came across this Thread -
    Where Guess who >>> AZ Pete <<<<< is Blasting how great ELDs how. Best thing since slice bread.
    wow - is this guy really a DOT butt kisser or what?? I'm sorry, but I have not seen anyone so overjoyed that ELDs have come down the road. Seems like he is just so overjoyed, because now unlike before when he needed help to manage it, he will be finally able to do his logs, because the computer will do it for him....Seriously??? Guess you like open boarders too.
    Check it out>>>>>>>> ELD, the best thing to happen to the industry since the 3406B

Timin770 Thanks this.
  9. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Wheelman
    Maybe the reason for AZPETE being so for the ELD's and his persistent defending of this device, is he either has such bad penmanship, or maybe he never learned to write at all. Maybe he is on the forums, due to lack of friends, and this is an easy way to argue where people don't punch him, or walk away being bored of his complaining. I have no issue with ELD's or those who use them. My issue is that this is where we are in our industry, that all this technology for Safety is doing nothing to quail the issue. Maybe the ELD has made less paperwork for many, but from what i am hearing. It has a 78%, your screwed in moving the vehicle if you are at your hours end. So being stuck at a shipper/receiver, or in the middle of nowhere. With no facilities, shower, food, fuel, and so forth. Sounds like what i want to be saddled with. One can plan all he/she wants, but as in life. We all should know #### happens. Unexpected delays, traffic, accidents, and so on. Unless someone has a crystal ball, or magic wand, which is unlikely, cause walmart had a recall, and unfortunately China has run out of magic dust, LOL. I see there being many issues concerning the ELD. Some are being discussed in these forums, and others will appear in a later date.
    Maybe the industry needs to look at other issues that have plagued our industry, coercion of drivers by the company, alcohol use in a CMV, illicit drug use, and so forth for the betterment of the industry. Look into those company driver training schools, federal background checks, criminal record checks for OWI, DUI, or DWI's, or drug convictions. Thus, weeding out those who should never poses a CDL . If a felon in every state cannot poses a concealed weapons permit, which is a deadly weapon, a commercial vehicle falls under this also, as it can be a deadly weapon.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.