ELD Are there any silver linings

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Trulos, Apr 11, 2017.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Hello I was testing elogs at a former employer and the #### thing would put you in driving pulling forward from the fuel pumps.

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    That would be the software... you have to go a certain distance at a certain speed to change into driving mode.... sounds like they got it set for any movement.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

I call it giving no.slack, and some are set up like that.

He did say they were trying the system out.

The old style People net we had would detect reversing into the dock almost as soon as you started moving, in effect, going south towards a North facing dock.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Additionally, an ELD would have to switch to driving mode automatically once the vehicle is moving at up to a set speed threshold of 5 miles per hour.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-12-16/pdf/2015-31336.pdf page 40, bottom right...

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I know a friend who was using that same system with no slack mentioned being put on the drive line moving from parking to the pumps in a truckstop.

I also remember someone dogging it on an arterial making sure to stop at every light, and when the lights were gone, so was he, driving the box instead of the truck.

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I've been driving for a company with EOBR for 3+ years now. I earn $80K+ annually, am home every night and weekends unless I choose not to be, and usually have 35+ hours left on my 70 when I park the truck in the yard on Friday at 2pm.

IMO, the only people who need to worry about the EOBR mandate are the ones that eke out a living hauling cheap freight for companies that expect them to show their comic book to DOT when they get pulled in for an inspection.

peterd Thanks this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

Those aren't issues with an eld. They are issues with the current hos.

peterd Thanks this.
  9. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Respectfully clarifying here.

Scenario 1: you are correct. The FMCSA says that even if you are stuck in traffic, you cannot "make up" those extra two hours later in the same shift. So therefore it will indeed log those as line 3.

Scenario 2: actually there IS a provision for this. Any decent ELD maker will have built in a "yard move" mode. For example I recently tested one that allowed for up to 5 miles of movement as long as it was under 10 MPH without putting the driver into the drive line. The FMCSA allows for this scenario to legally allow for your concern on this one.

Timin770 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  10. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    One other BIG concern i have that i really don't like, is this is MY truck. i use it when i am off duty on vacation to pull my 5th wheel. When i off traveling like that i Do Not Want Big Brother watching or knowing a #### thing of where i was or what i was doing. SO are there any ELDs that can be turned off? or i just unplug? my understanding is you are not "supposed" to do that. but that is my time and DOT has no right to know anything during that time.

11. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Im sorry but your statement is BS - and unfair. I do 95% Drop and hook and even then there have been times when i get to a place and between the line to get in, drop my trailer , find my trailer, get and the line to get out can take me 1.5-2hrs (P&G???) you honestly think im logging 2 hrs? even as a yard move now its a pain in the butt. and then in the North East, get stuck on I84 for 2-3 in a traffic jam when u have a 6 hr run. Your a local runner from the sound of it and retunr to home base every night, i don't believe you even need a log book. so don't compare yourself to the rest of us that are running 2500 miles a week and get home Friday night or even better the OTR that get home every 3 weeks. Not a fair comparison.

Joetro Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.