ELD compliant

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Jan 24, 2020.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Capture+_2020-01-24-17-56-06.png

So. Can I make this eld compliant?

Image is from truck paper. I do not own this image

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    That truck can run paper logbook ! However you can run eld as long as it's ecm. Engine !

feldsforever Thanks this.
  4. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019

Ok. I was hoping it was simpler than that. I just dont underatand, Why I can't grasp this eld stuff. But since your post I know now. If it has a ecm. I can install a eld. That honestly puts me way a head of where I was ten mins ago. Thank you
    I'm looking for the oldest model truck. Thats half way decent on fuel. And will take a qual comm.
    I'm talking pre bumper sensors. Dpf pre egr. Pre def.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Most 2003 trucks have 2002 engines installed and do not have egr, dpf or def. The older you get from there the more you will get away from ecm electronic engines and into the mechanicals. I don't know that all pre 2000 ecm engines can run a eld. I have heard it both ways.

feldsforever and Frontman Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Your best bet is to call someone like keep trucking and see if it's compatible.
    Maybe @Dieselboss can help.

And like mentioned, unless your carrier requires it, you can paper log with that truck.

7. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Qualcom will work. We have an O/O with a 94 KW that runs one. Just doesn't pull everything required for ELD. Kicks to drive @ 5mph, positioning is accurate. The run he does requires instant positioning and the customer can log in and see where he is 24/7.

ChevyCam and feldsforever Thank this.
  8. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    I been here for a couple month. Or close to. Just today I seen the eld thread on the front page. I'm going to give that a read.
    Thank you for your responses.

I would like to stay in the peterbuilt or Volvo family. Looking at trucks between 98 and 2003. Can some one add a link to, what to look for when buying a truck. I'm sure there are plenty on here.

9. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I do not know if that truck's ECM provides all of the required data to be fully "ELD" compatable. However, you can still run an Omnitracs (Qualcomm) unit in it. You are allowed to run in the AOBRD mode because that truck is not ELD required. So, my point is that if you want to go electronic with your logs and IFTA miles, etc - you can. But you may very well be in AOBRD ode which allows you a lot more leeway, like log editing, and moving up to 25 mph without going into drive mode, legally. (or it may have all of the required ECM for full ED mode.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Reason for edit: spelling
  10. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    Thank you. I have trouble some times putting my thoughts into words. But you have answered the question, I 've. Been trying to ask for a couple years. Literally.
    Ok now this has been figured out. I'm guessing the next step would be getting familiar with these year trucks?
    Starting with which years qualify for this. As well as mpg.v horse power?

11. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    This one.

I honestly want to run paper. Or as close to it as possible.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.