ELD full compliance

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scalemaster, Dec 12, 2019.

1. The Veteran

The Veteran Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2020
    I realize a DOT can do this. I was explaining this paticular episode was a Ohio State Trooper that was commercial enforcement certified to do inspections. When I asked him why he pulled me over, he said he clocked me at 65 in a 55mph.

I never said they needed a reason, simply explaining the reason he pulled me over that particular day. As far as points, I know I didn't get any. You dont start getting points until over 5mph over. I was stating you cant fight it. Some companies dont care if you get points or not, they simply want a clean CSA.

kemosabi49 and scottied67 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Okay, I called RoadLaw again. She said you can fight violations through DataQ, but the success rate is low as they ultimately have the power to say yes or no. On the other hand, if you go to court and your case is successful, DataQ is obligated to make the changes. They cannot reject it.

I also called OOIDA. This lady also said you can fight your violations through DataQ, but you need to have some solid evidence like a footage from a dash cam. We also spoke about other things, and she too recommended to request a citation so you can fight it in court, but you obviously have to be certain you are correct, otherwise, you’ll end up with both a violation and a citation.

scottied67, ZVar and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So here I am, at a big warehouse, 3.5 hours already, waiting for them to call me with a dock assignment. I have only 2 hours left on my 14 hour clock. I am afraid, or not, that I'll be here for another 2 hours. There are some ugly looking turn-out spots around the area where I could park and wait for the 14 hour clock to reset. For that, I would need to combine the accumulated 3.5 hours and the expected 2 more hours including the time at the dock and additional 2.5 hours in the pothole to get going again.
    Well, it is not going to happen because of the ELD full compliance. It is rather awkward to even try to drive below 5 mph from the staging area to docks and then to the temporary parking. I will use Personal Conveyance to travel about 30-45 miles out of this place to a nearest safe rest area, there I will spend additional 8 hours after which I will resume driving for good.
    I don't want to spend additional 8 hours in the sleeper today!
    I am telling you, this is not meant for normal, healthy people. I wish I could have those FMCSA HOS inventors try it out for themselves.
    Paper logs were good because they allowed cheating and cheating was good because it allowed normal life.
    Nowhere have they proven so far the ELDs impact on road safety.
    I said my piece for today.

Brettj3876, mp4694330, tinytim and 6 others Thank this.
  5. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    So use pc to go in the dock. Make it work for you. To hell with the “rules”

6. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    Looks like TruckStop speed limit is either 4MPH,or 60.

7. tuckerthetrucker

tuckerthetrucker Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2011
    south dakota
    Example from yesterday, tell me how this made me a safer driver.
    Arrive at truckstop 1 mile from receiver at 1p.m. for a 4p.m. appt. Have hours available until 915p.m. I am told that they are running pretty close to their app times. wait, wait, wait 9p.m. rolls around and still no call, and now can extend the day via the 8 hour split, full reset will be at 11. Go to bed and try to sleep at 10p.m. get the call from receiver at 1130. Have to start my 14 to get there 1 mile. takes receiver until 430 a.m. to unload. Now the best thing to do would be to drive back to the truckstop 1 mile and go back to bed and get some decent sleep.(without the truck banging around from a forklift driving on and off for 4 hours.) but the clock is ticking and unless I do a full 8 more in the sleeper( of which I could sleep maybe 4 hours) I have to keep going on basically no real sleep for the night, but all perfectly legal on the eld.
    I guess what I'm saying is full eld is bs. It is not safer than paper or aobrd with a off duty yard move option. I am now constantly up against the clock everyday( and shove all your proper trip planning comments, this is the real world and stuff happens) I think this may finally be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I am tired of it all.

TallJoe, scottied67 and DUNE-T Thank this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Find a local job that pays you hourly so you won’t have to worry about any of this. You’ll get paid even if you’re just waiting for the customer to receive you.

I’m thinking why didn’t you show up at your appointment time? They said they wouldn’t allow you in? Make sure you document everything so you get paid for detention.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  9. tuckerthetrucker

Sep 3, 2011
    south dakota
    I will get detention, an no they will not let you on property until they call you over. wouldn't matter anyway would still have to start the clock at 1130. Was checked in way BEFORE the apt time. Been at this making a decent living for along time, it just gets more and more frustrating every year. If any of the new rules and regs were actually about safety then they should start with proper training for new drivers and mandatory detention time at every shipper/receiver.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    100% agree with some type of training standards, which the FMCSA can absolutely regulate but the ATA and all of their members don’t want (for obvious reasons). Minimum training standard and taking away the ability for the megas to self insure would do a lot for this industry.

I’m 100% against mandatory detention pay. First, the FMCSA has no power to regulate shippers and receivers. If they could regulate it then what we’d see is an “industry standard” detention rate with no real power to negotiate for more because the government said that $xx per hour is what it should be. Companies can pay their drivers detention pay on their own and many companies do.

11. tuckerthetrucker

Sep 3, 2011
    south dakota
    I'm normally against any new government regulation in any form, however we as carriers have been subjected to a huge amount of new regulation in the last few years with no change in how the industry as a whole operates. instead we hear that we need to trip plan better. No amount of trip planning is going to make up for the lost hours and days we must now absorb because of the current laws and the current operating procedures of shippers and recievers. I honestly don't know what the answer is but I do know that if it continues with business as usual I will be selling my business and finding a new line of work that has nothing to do with truckload transportation and the cesspool it has become.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.