ELD full compliance

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scalemaster, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    There are a lot of people that get detention pay already without the government telling people they have to pay it. If I’m already getting a fair amount for my time and my truck when I’m held up then why would I be in favor of more regulations (which the FMCSA can’t regulate anyway) that could very well lower the amount I get? If places don’t pay detention and are habitual offenders holding you up then stop going there. If you’re a driver and aren’t paid fairly for your time when you’re detained then work someplace that pays you. It’s a free country, nobody can force you to do things you don’t want to do.

We have a couple places we load that can get trucks stacked up if they have a break down. One place pays us directly for our detention, at the other place we’re a customer truck so we don’t get paid by the shipper. We bill the customer for our detention and then they settle up with the shipper when it’s time to pay their bill. It’s not difficult to get compensated for your time. And I understand the risk is losing that haul to someone who doesn’t care if they waste all day or not.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Sorry but I disagree. How can the government mandate rules on hours worked, but yet the industry pays primarily on piece work?? I truly believe if the government wants to mandate hours worked then they should also mandate hourly pay. A cdl should also be recognized as a certified trade, no different than an electrician, welder, plumber....etc etc. These professions pay quite well, I personally know welders making $4000 a week. Yes, a week! Carrying a lunch pail!! Why? Because that’s what trades people DEMAND. Why aren’t we doing the same???

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It would fall on deaf ears. There are too many people that will do the job for barely more than the “privilege” of being employed by the shysters in question. And those same idiots are usually the ones that make impassible u-turns and hit low bridges.

It’s hard to make that demand with a modicum of credibility when you share an industry with such contaminants of the gene pool.

roshea and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  5. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Question so I am stopped in a chain up area making a phone call. There are no parking signs (Truckee CA) CHP knocks on my door says you can't park here. I said making a call he says lic yadda yadda I"m not writting you a ticket but giving you a level 3. On it he lists a violation 21718(A)vc non emergency stop.What does that count as?

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It counts as a 21718(a) violation. I don't understand the question as how it's asked is the answer...

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  7. InTooDeep

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Guess what I tried to ask but not so good is Do I get any points

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Drivers never get points for a cvsa inspection. The carrier will yes. Sorry I can't look up how many as I'm on my phone.

roshea, Bean Jr. and InTooDeep Thank this.
  9. InTooDeep

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Thanks appreciate your help I'll try to find it. I"m not a company driver

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    And look how long it takes to get to those good wages in those industries. If trucking were set up similar to electricians where you had to run a box truck for a certain number of hours before being allowed to run a semi for a certain number of hours before eventually being turned out in your own truck the pay probably would be better. Simply because people wouldn’t be interested in investing multiple years into training in order to be paid well to drive a truck. A CDL is easy to get compared to getting certified in the other professions you listed. Anybody can walk in off the street and be driving a truck in a couple days.

Before deregulation wages were high, some people would say artificially high. Rates were regulated, lanes were regulated, what you could haul and where you could go were regulated. Most states also required intrastate authority and the PUC would determine if you were allowed to buy a truck or not. But everyone wanted a free market. And here we are.

What’s a fair hourly rate for a driver? What’s a fair hourly rate for an owner operator?

Hourly positions are out there, if that’s what you want go get one. And if you want heavily regulated trucking I suggest going to Hawaii. It’s still regulated there and the PUC sets the rate so it’s “fair” for everyone.

aaronpeterbilt3787 Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Finally got a chance to look into this. I'm a bit confused as to what the officer did though. The actual violation he wrote you up for is not one recognized in the CSA point system. It's a California code only.
    Now it could be coded as "State Law, Failure to Obey a Traffic Control Device" or some such though.

You need to verify that. I'd check your CSA inspections every month or so and if it does show up go ahead and challenge it via DataQ.
    You can check here if you didn't know.
    Safety Measurement System - Simple Search

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.