Eld in a glider

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Speedy007, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Speedy007

Speedy007 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2007
    So 2017 Cascadia glider with a 1998 epa engine, however engine is made in 2017.
    So is the truck exempt from elogs or not?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Technically yes should be exempt because engine was built in 98 ?

But if that engine is a Detroit reman from the factory then it goes by that build date. I'm assuming it's a series 60?

So I would think the powers to be might have a problem with that

4. Speedy007

Speedy007 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes series 60 factory reman

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I'm in the same predicament. I got a 16 western star with a reman series 60. Valve cover has build date on it 2015.
    Even though the engine was manufactured in 99

6. Vio

Vio Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2012
    AZ
    Can you find the original engine serial number?

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    That's what I did.

You give the original serial # to Detroit and they tell you it was remanufactured in 2015 .

Vio Thanks this.
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    It has nothing to do when the engine was remanuafactured. It is the model year that is the criteria that determines whether or not you must run an ELD.
    All of the examples cited above are all model year 1998. They are exempt from the requirement. The thinking at FMCSA is that trucks built before model year 2000 had connectivity problems and decided to make that cutoff. And in July they published the revised rule regarding glider kits or any truck with an engine with model year before 2000.
    There are several other threads dealing with the issue

9. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I would not go by your engine model year. There has been no new rule published since the ELD rule was published. In that rule it clearly says "vehicles manufactured before model year 2000 are exempt." What they did do, and has confused a lot of people, is issue guidance to the rule saying it will go by the engine model year. Again, there has been no revision, only further guidance. If you think the rule has been revised to include language regarding engine model year then provide the link to the appropriate issue of the Federal Register, then I'll believe it.

There is a big difference between guidance to a rule and the rule itself. The rule itself is essentially law of the land while guidance is just that, guidance. At the end of the day and to enforcement officials, all that matters is what the rule says in the Register, anything else is just a suggestion. It says vehicles before model year 2000; Meaning, you need to look at the VIN number of the vehicle and if the VIN on the vehicle indicates a pre 2000 vehicle, no ELD; if the VIN on the vehicle is 2000 or later, and this includes gliders which are new vehicles, you must run an ELD. Furthermore, if you are basing decisions around guidance to a rule, as I stated earlier is not binding on enforcement officials, and you put a motor in a new Glider not capable of running an ELD, you just built a truck incapable of compliance and you'll be S.O.L.

The link to the rule:
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-12-16/pdf/2015-31336.pdf
    Go to page 5, first bullet point left column.

This rule has not been revised; only guidance has been published by the FMCSA since. Do not base your decisions around guidance or you're going to get burned. Here is an example of what some above have commented,
    TransComply | Trucking startup & compliance

Notice that even in this article they call it guidance and not a revision to the rule itself. Guidance is not law of the land. All that matters is the language of the rule itself.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    So if your vin is a 2000 your not good?

11. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    According to the language of the rule MY 2000 or later must have an ELD and you determine that by the VIN on the vehicle. The guidance says you can go by the engine year. It is very confusing. The rule is law while guidance is just a suggestion. If your goal is to avoid ELDs, I think if anyone is making decisions based on guidance; you're taking a risk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.