Eld in a glider

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Speedy007, Sep 28, 2017.

1. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I am not sure about how people risk installing lower EPA engines in their trucks, I went for it, because my 03 already came from the factory with N14

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mido

Mido Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Hi,I have a 2018 Cascadia with a S60 12.7 with detroit diesel reman sticker 10/2017 but the original engine production date is 11/23/1994. Do I need it ELD. Thanks

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Casting date on the block (and thats all the 1994 date really is) means nothing. Ehat matters is the engine model year, which my guess would be 2017. Detroit's usually have that on the sticker also.

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Yes. Look at your sticker on valve cover. Reman date might be 2017 but model year will be on there also.

6. Petar17

Petar17 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Hi guys. I have Columbia 2016. With Detroit seris 60 1999 Fitzgerald glider kit. I know i am ELD exempted. Mu question is: Can i use electronic log book in it? I know it can’t be connected to the engine ECU, but i can still use an app like for example Keep trucking app, I just manually enter all the information in the app like we did before with AOBRD’s. Is that going to be legal? If they stop me on the weight station and I have my log book on the app is that ok or i got to do papper log book? It’s easier to use the app, that’s why I am asking. Thank you

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Your fine to use what ever you like . Your ELD exempt but if you choose to run a ELD or AOBRD or an app to help with log book that's fine too.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    There are a couple points.
    First, you can run ELD very likely. I'd be surprised if the engine can't. But you are correct you don't have to.
    As for running an Electronic Log (Not an Electronic Logging Device) you have to be able to print the past 7 days on demand. It's up to the LEO doing the inspection on if they accept fax or email, they don't have to with electronic logs.

Here is the guidance
    Question 28: May a driver use a computer, tablet, or smartphone (that is not an Automatic On-Board Recording Device) to create, electronically sign, and store the record of duty status (RODS)?

Guidance:

Yes. A driver may make manual duty-status entries to a computer, tablet, or smartphone program that is used to generate the graph grid and entries for the record of duty status (RODS) or log book, provided the electronically-generated display (if any) and output includes the minimum information required by §395.8 and is formatted in accordance with that section. The driver must sign the RODS (manually or electronically) at the end of each 24-hour period to certify that all required entries are true and correct.

1. If electronic signatures are not used:
    • The driver must print and manually sign the RODS daily.
    • The driver must have in his or her possession the printed and signed RODS for the prior seven consecutive days (if required on those days).
    • The driver should be given an opportunity to print and manually sign the current day’s RODS at the time of the inspection.
    1. If RODS have been electronically signed:
    • At the time of an inspection of records by an enforcement official, the driver may display the current and prior seven days RODS to the official on the device’s screen.
    • If the enforcement official requests printed copies of the RODS, the driver must be given an opportunity to print the current and prior seven days RODS (if required on those days) at the time of inspection.
    [79 FR 39343, July 10, 2014]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.