ELD Mounting Location

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Proxy, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    A lot of people that use ELDs like KT also use their personal phones to pair with it, the DOT has specified that when using a smart phone device it needs to be mounted to the dash so the driver can see it at all times. Is anyone aware of any restrictions for using a windshield mounted smart phone holder or have theirs sitting on top of the dash with a smart phone holder? I can see a DOT inspector finding a reason to write a ticket for "restricted field of view" etc..

doc43204 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. doc43204

doc43204 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    OH
    I've been using a windshield mounted cradle for about 4 years and never had a word said. I'm not saying it is legal but I've never been busted for it going through scales or in any inspections.

Proxy Thanks this.
  4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    They amended that reg a few years back. You can have "safety-related" devices in the dash or windshield area within reason, including in the "wiper-swipe" area. Your windshield cameras, ELD screen, lane-departure warning screens, etc are ok unless you are placing it ridiculously in front of the drivers face, or blocking a side mirror view, etc.

The short answer is here ---> Regulations and the long, gory "exact number of inches and placements" type of details are found by clicking the PDF file on that page.

Proxy and roshea Thank this.
  5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    We use an LG tablet to run our ELD program on, it's mounted in a cradle to the side of the dash down low, not visible. My phone is not connected to it, and it sits in a cradle at dash level.

6. OT John

OT John Bobtail Member

May 6, 2019
    It has to be in a place the driver can verify it is working and can reach to either side of the truck for a roadside inspection.
    I would try and stay away from windsheild mounting as some placee like Houston Texas are really not keen on it.

RAM Mounts has some great stuff for mounting tablets and other devices.

7. Ottomatic

Ottomatic Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Got a violation for the ELD mounted on windshield in Arizona today. Gonna dispute seeing trooper does not understand federal law concerning CMV.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And where was the officer wrong?

§ 393.60 Glazing in specified openings.
    Prohibition on obstructions to the driver's field of view -
    (1) Devices mounted on the interior of the windshield.
    (i) Antennas, and similar devices must not be mounted more than 152 mm (6 inches) below the upper edge of the windshield. These devices must be located outside the area swept by the windshield wipers, and outside the driver's sight lines to the road and highway signs and signals.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.