Eld omnitracs ball and chain

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GregoryRapsing, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    On a more serious note.......I consistently run 3200-3400 miles per week. 14 hours on duty in a 24 hour period is more than enough. I'm rarely on the drive line over 10 hours. 9.5 is about average. On duty not driving......10-11 max. Trip planning and clock management are crucial skills to learn. I had to learn by trial and error. Nobody taught me. It took a solid 1 1/2- 2 years to figure it out. I start my day between 0000-0300. I run mostly 1400-2100 mile loads. I am shut down between 1200-1500. Parking is NEVER an issue. If I get that odd "hot" load now and then, and won't be able to shut down until the wee hours, I'll reserve a spot on the PFJ or TA Petro app way ahead of time. Guaranteed parking spot. Searching blindly for a parking spot between 1800-0500 does not work. That is what my trainer used to do.......I thought it was "normal". It is not. This is not a "point and click" job. Be patient....learn the ropes....take your time. It will come together over time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    As mentioned above......it is. Where did this gimmie, gimmie, gimmie crap start? Do you have any idea where "State" or "Federal" "free money" comes from??? Apparently you don't. I'll give you a hint....never mind.

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  4. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I trained on the government dime, and I've paid at least that much in federal taxes every year since. I'd say Uncle Sam did pretty well for himself on that deal. There's not many investments out there that pay over 100% ROI per year. And that's not even counting any of the federally taxed profits I've generated for the carriers, shippers, receivers, and equipment manufacturers, nor does it count anything paid to any of the states....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    david123abc, SoulScream84 and MBAngel Thank this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Youve missed the point, they may pay to send a driver through a mill to get a cdl, thats not any substantive training.

The magic of the marketplace, im assuming youre baiting me and im not interested right now

JMon Thanks this.
  6. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Mills aren't substantive training regardless of who pays. When I got my funding, they went out of their way to make sure I wasn't going thru a mill.

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Trucking. Do you see what you started? :laughing3:

slow.rider Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You will get a better deal and get it much faster by working at a better company. I've seen so many drivers take a crappy job "just get in the seat" and then demand everyone strike to improve the crappy company.

9. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Part of the problem with providing more parking is the "not in my backyard" ppl. They don't want the trash and the hookers, and the trucks driving down residential streets. It's definitely not the whole problem. The infrastructure bill doesn't appear to have money earmarked for more parking.
    But the rules were definitely designed for safety, and to keep employers from forcing us to run fatigued.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    You dont get to set rules for restricting hours without making sure theres actually adequate parking so that people can actually stop.

Reality is that hours when initially were introduced, it was to prevent employers from pushing drivers, which quickly led to penalties for drivers that didnt run out their clock. Implemented for driver protection and then used as a stick against drivers. Thats been the entire history of logbooks. (Well, less the obvious stuff where its used as a revenue source for enforcement)

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Make sure and calibrate the screen on your Omnitrac IVG. They work much faster after that. It’s in the settings menu somewhere.

As for using an ELD, if you were in paper then it should still be the exact same rules.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.