ELD recommendations please

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by rank, May 10, 2018.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I need a ELD solution for a driver. Truck is a 2008. I do not have the time nor the desire to support this POS. The driver is 0% tech savvy so it needs to be stand alone system....no printer in the truck....none of this BS where I have to e-mail logs to the scale house. The driver needs to be able to print his logs from that box on the dash.

What's out there that works and doesn't F up all the time?

wore out Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bank_Lbr

Bank_Lbr Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2018
    VDO ELD Mandate compliance that is simple and affordable | VDO RoadLog™
    $500-$600

4. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I searched through the FMCSA website and out of the certified devices, the VDO RoadLog is the only one I can find that does not require one to be tech savvy nor does it require monthly fees and services. The device itself has the printer for logs.

rank Thanks this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I appreciate the info. I read a lot of threads in TTR about the VDO and it seems there was a supply issue leading to hardware wait times. To your point, what a scam this industry has become when a truck driver has to be a computer guy or have back office tech support to operate. I am disgusted at the corruption and the lobbying by the commercial interests that got us here

6. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    We ordered ours quite a while ago and still have not received them. I advised the bosses of everything I needed to and then advised the drivers of everything. I can see why these units are in high demand. Even the units that say they have no monthly fee require the purchaser to obtain a smart phone. Then you see instances where a driver forgot the ELD was on their smartphone and it logs them as on duty driving when they get in their personal vehicle. Seems like there are a lot of bugs to work out still with these.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  7. Bank_Lbr

Apr 10, 2018
    The bugs seem to have slowed-down quite a bit. I'll admit, we did have a few.
    The reason the drivers are getting logged as OnDuty is, They're not logging completely out of the application.
    Once they do that, they won't have that problem. Also, if the truck moves (yard spotter, mechanic, other driver, etc.) and they're logged out, the activity will either record as Unidentified Driving or will be recorded to the other driver's log). But, they key.... Log Out Every Day

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
    Reason for edit: Advertising
    deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  8. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    We are in an odd situation. We are exempt because we are a driveaway/towaway operation HOWEVER we do have 3 fleet vehicles to tow our commodity with so that put a nice little wrench in there.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  9. Bank_Lbr

Apr 10, 2018
    I agree, having "some that are and some that aren't subject to the Mandate" sucks. I have a few customers that are in the same situation and can't help but feel for them.

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Mr VDO Phone sales guy said $800 for the hardware. UnFnbelievable scam. ATA you can kiss my rosy red ###.

Yet there are still idiot company drivers saying the only reason to run paper is to lie.

stwik, Pedigreed Bulldog and Lite bug Thank this.
  11. Bank_Lbr

Apr 10, 2018
    ####.... Is that what they're up to now? Wow.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.