Eld Vs Paper

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Patrick615, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Patrick615

Patrick615 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2018
    im curious as to why this new breed of drivers say that those on paper are bad at time management and that’s why we need to do creative logging. These are the same ones that we see parked on ramps and shoulders. Just curious why they think that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I’ve lived a considerable amount of time in both worlds. At the risk of getting chastised, I like the ELD.

But only because I’m a lazy SOB. it’s enter the trip data once, then click click click, and done.

I don’t park on ramps ;)

4. Patrick615

Jun 10, 2018
    I get where you’re coming from. This is mostly from the cowboys that are fresh outta school and they don’t have time to listen to the pros and cons.

Humblepie, dynamite and SteerTire Thank this.
  5. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I’ve run 3 logs at a time. The new guys will never be able to manage that (or understand why) lol Even if they’re perfect time managers ;)

They’ll also never run 5k miles in a week as a solo driver either. But they’re getting rich ;)

Arkansas and jammer910Z Thank this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Pros of paper: don't need to worry about running out of time. Cons: running out of chances with DOT and also killing your body with not enough rest.

PE_T, Number9, Northerntanker and 4 others Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've used both. I'd take an ELD over paper any day of the week. Couple clicks on the screen and done. I hated having to draw those lines and fill coments in that tiny little area under the chart.

8. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    You running 5K miles per week is exactly why we all have to use E logs now. That means you are averaging almost 715 miles per day, 7 days a week. Sorry sir, not going to subscribe to your newsletter.

Aamcotrans, PE_T, roshea and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Patrick615

Jun 10, 2018
    Don’t forget to mention I average 75-100 mph most of my day

S M D and Bakerman Thank this.
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I've ran paper and electronic. I've parked on ramps with paper and electronic. When I'm tired I got to sleep either way. That said, I'd never go back to paper. Touch the screen and go. OP, if you used time well on paper, it will trsnslate to ELD. Also time management has nothing with why drivers park on ramps.

QuietStorm, PE_T, roshea and 4 others Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No. We weren’t “bad at time management” while on paper. We just developed a lot of fudging habits, and used the “flexibility” to our advantage.

Elogs simply forces one back to having to deal with reality with no way to mask fudging [or bad planning]

And let’s be honest. On paper, smart trip planning wasn’t as critical. But that’s not to say we didn’t know how to plan properly. We just had more colors to paint with and could extend our production in various creative ways.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.