ELDS Rate increase

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Largecar359, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I wanted to get some feedback from some of the drivers on here that were using paper logs and have recently switched to ELDS. I use paper, have always used paper, and I will continue to use paper. However, other o/o's that pull my freight will be making the switch in the next year or so. I have received memos from some of the larger carriers I use that they estimate a 20-25% increase on their rates. My question to you guys that have recently switched is, how much time and work has it cost you?

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Well, I am on paper, leased to a carrier here in Detroit, a Canadian outfit... We are getting the ELDs in January or February, it is a total mess, Michigan State Police DOT are holding off any enforcement until June or July. No one here is ready for any of this in the automotive racket.

My companies response is to hire three more drivers or maybe five to cover the freight. Problem is, we will be sitting, making less, trying to cover the freight. I expect my income to take a 30% net hit. I am not as optimistic as my company is in regards to rates. Bottom line, they are already looking to bring on more O/Ops to fill the gap. Right now, there are 10 of us.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    You've had decades to get used to the rules. No one's fault but yours.

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Explain? No one's fault but mine? Straighten me out Sparky.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I understand, but I really think hiring more o/o or just hiring more drivers in general is not a good answer for the situation. I'm really trying to avoid that. Hiring more o/o is only a short term solution for this mess. If the o/o nets less money, there will be no one left to hire in 5 yrs when they close up shop.

Tb0n3- I do not follow what you are saying?

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    We are on the same page, hiring more O/Ops is not the solution... I'm going to weather this, everything is paid for, NO mortgage, just property taxes, utilities, insurance, cell phones and a Silverado lease. No credit cards, truck is free and clear... The rest of the gang... No f'n clue.

8. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I hear you, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much work will need to be covered. At the end of the day still need to move the freight. Would rather just keep the freight in house. Two of the o/o are literally building old trucks now, just so they can keep business going as usual. Everyone is 20 plus yrs into it, changing is not something that will go smoothly.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You are on the right page, that American thing is kicking in, kick sss and take names, to hll with the government. What is the right thing to do? Your guess is as good as mine. Pirate radio...

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    You are the one choosing to run illegally and require the money paid for it. Get paid a decent wage and you might just find not working every waking hour has benefits.

Highway Sailor, HalpinUout and magoo68 Thank this.
  11. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I was thinking the same thing, Tb.

If he takes a 30% pay hit, then he was running 30% over legal time.

laaylor, Ke6gwf and magoo68 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.