Electret Mic without power?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by rabbiporkchop, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A mic element, they make them that way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Thanks for the disinformation but my multimeter and two more knowledgeable folks say it's an electret.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well OK I guess.

Disinformation?? more knowledgeable - I'll remember that one.

Look rabbi, not to be nasty but here is the problem, you're posting pics and a couple schematics to us with nothing else to go on, we are not there to ask or see for ourselves, to look at it up close and personal so it is like describing something in the blind.

They make elements that are for PCBs that mount and LOOK just like the electret so it could be one or the other. From the schematic and >>> with your claim power is from pin 6 <<< then it wasn't powered, hence it was a standard dynamic mini element.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. CW Spook

CW Spook Light Load Member

The schematic didn't match the photo of the mic, as the photo obviously showed up and down channel buttons. That 's what led me to suspect that the RX audio line was carrying voltage. Guess I was correct.

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I guess it goes to show how easy it it to overlook something if we don't know what we are looking for.
    I just assumed since you have one of these radios you would have known.

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    sounds nice and intelligible..

8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I didn't take the mic apart nor have I tried anything else on it, it works, it is a general purpose radio for the global market, not a cb, it is programmed as on.

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    After working flawlessly for a few weeks, I began to notice occasional feedback.
    Does anyone know if it is ok to tie the source lead from the electret together with the transmit wire so they both connect to the shield or common wire when the button is depressed? I have the drain lead from the electret connecting to the audio wire when the button is depressed on another circuit.
    Currently using a double pole double throw leaf switch.
    Only using shield audio and transmit wires going to the plug.
    I though maybe the switch wasn't making a good contact, but I replaced the leaf switch with a DPDT toggle switch and the same issue occurs.
    Interestingly enough, the problem does not occur with my Electro-Voice 602 t.
    I even tried Bob Heil's fix by connecting microphone Shield to chassis ground and that did not solve the problem.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Problem solved. I connected a .1 microfarad capacitor between the shield and the audio wire and it eliminated the squealing problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.