Electric Fans

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Turbrospeed, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Turbrospeed

Turbrospeed Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    Hey guys hope yall safe out there otr. So my fan bearing gave out in Wyoming last night and had to remove the 3 belts from crank. Basically running no engine fan. Luckily its cold out and have to hammer down up the mountains with the heater on blast so the engine doesn't over heat.

My question is if anyone on here is running electric fans?

I came across this company

Turbine Electric Fans for Over-the-Road Trucks and Tractors

I sent them a email asking for the model for my truck and price. Am very interested in this depending on the price. What you guys think?

My truck is a 97 Freightliner Century Class with a 12.7 60 series.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    There's a dude on tiktok running a couple thousand HP(no seriously its got serious HP, 100+lbs boost) he runs electric fans. So yeah it can be done. But why? I'd just fix your problem

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    For the same reason the high
    -horsepower guy is doing it, and the same reason drag racers have been doing it for decades: reduced parasitic drag on the engine, which translates into more power and higher fuel economy. I read somewhere that engine fan on time is the biggest drag on fuel economy after driver behavior.

Also, the fact that you're less likely to break down due to having a broken fan belt is a thing.

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    No yeah you are absolutely correct.

6. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Less likely? There would be an electric motor, wiring, multiple sensors for an electric cooling fan. More electronics not necessarily better. Many cars have electric water pumps, electric power steering with no belt driven pump or fluid, to squeeze out a little mpg.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You won't get the CFM out of electric fans unless you have one that has a 20 HP electric motor on it.

Fix your problem and keep truckin'

8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    None of which break if not periodically replaced or lip if they get stretched or if the tensioner fails.

9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Well not just radiator to cool, but a thick cooling package. CAC, trans cooler, power steering cooler, A/C condenser. Out in desert southwest in middle of summer pulling a hard pass. Doubt it would keep up with cooling demands.
    If it was viable don’t you think every OEM would have swapped to electric fans by now?.
    They are under the gun for fuel mileage and less emissions by governments. As well as customers.
    It may work in cooler weather but you’re trying remove a lot of heat out of cooling package.

AModelCat, ducnut, Smellfunny and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    Well that company got back to me and they want 1395 plus shipping for that electric fan so dont think ill be going that route. Also that model fan weighs 70lbs!

11. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    Do you happen to have a link so i can see what he did?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.