Electrical fault happening to prostar international 2009

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ShelbyKay, Apr 5, 2014.

1. canperson

canperson Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2013
    I am having the same problem with my 08 prostar with an ultrashift tranny . ended up taking it to the dealer . they rewired it from the batteries to the tranny and it only lasted for 2 days and the problem came back again 1500 dollars spend at a dealer's place for nothing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sony

Sony Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Hello Guys I mentioned about the electrical problem I was having in short I was getting electrical fault, Abs , traction control light , all gages was dead and engine warn. Dealers changed Abs sensor , Speed sensor , ECU and Ecm reprogram. After paying around $4000 I drove truck less than 1/2 kms. Engine light came back so I took the truck back. They said now the wiring harness that connects to load gage is bad. Paid $800 . Took truck out engine light came back and water temperature gage didn't act at all after that Called dealers they said truck had Spn7129 inactive code (EBP Low to desired level) its becouse of that andto find the actuall problem they want another 4 hours diagnosis at $136 hour. Now i am kind of debating from 1 week what to do. Truck is not making money . :(

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. Sony

Sony Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2015
    One more thing . After fixing all that I mentioned in my previous post . Yesterday was raining here I drove truck around 10 km than parked for 15 mins. After that when started it all if sudden I saw electrical fault , traction control light and all gages died . Is it because of water ????? After turning it off and starting it again. Everything was Allright for next 5 km . Going to put it on sale . Very disappointed I will never buy international

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I am sorry to hear you have been going through all that. It seems to me you have a 1939 datalink problem and who ever has been working on doesn't know Prostar electronics and wiring very well.

6. Luis Garcia

Luis Garcia Guest

Hello Guys. I'm new here and I need your help. I'm having electrical problems with my Prostar 2011. This mess began when the drivers turned off the truck and turned on again, the dashboard didn’t work. No lights, no Gages, only the oil pressure, also the interior lights didn’t work. If you use the headlights, the stop lights and the tail lights didn’t work, but the hazard light yes. The first mechanic who checked the truck, disconnect all the batteries to reset the truck, and change one because didn’t work. The problem disappear for 3 weeks, and then came back. We thought the inverter could be the problem, because it was the last electrical component connected to the truck. The inverter was disconnected, and the truck restarted. Works for 2 weeks, and after that the problems became more frequently until the dashboard didn’t turn on again. The cabin computer (i don’t know the component name) was checked in an international dealer and work.

Thanks for your time, sorry for my english.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Check the grounds in the truck, it sounds like it may be a grounding problem.

Also test the batteries and if you replace one, replace all of them.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Is this truck hard to start or needs to be boosted often?

Luis Garcia Thanks this.
  9. Luis Garcia

Luis Garcia Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hello Heavyd:

The truck start without problems

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds like a faulty cab computer. We call them body controllers. The body controller is located to the left of the clutch pedal, behind the small kick panel bolted to the inside of the cab near the floor. We have seen many times that the wiring is tied too tightly and actually pulling on the connectors at the body controller. This can cause wires to be partially pulled out, partially disconnected connected, or even cracked motherboards inside the body controller because the wiring is tied too tightly. We normally remove this panel and inspect the wiring and connectors in there. You can wiggle the connectors to see if anything weird happens. I always make sure those wiring harnesses and connectors aren't stressed from too many or too tight of zip ties.

Luis Garcia and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  11. owenzhou

owenzhou Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Body controller need to be checked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.