Electronic pre-trip

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by RSTOREY, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jeff Waterstreet

Jeff Waterstreet Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I don't think you understood my post, please read it again. I never said you had to log anything related to pretrip or DVIR. My caution related to the electronic trail you create. You are still required to do a pretrip even though you don't need to have any evidence, paper or electronic. If you go immediately from line 2 to 3, then you technically cannot have legally done a pretrip, and are open to questions if you did it or not. So going to line 4 for a bit of time is a safe way of covering yourself.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My head hurts.

Just needed two things, a annoitation on a paper log and a DIVR if a defect is present. (And counter signed by mechanic... which might take days.)

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I take it you never drove?

Caution or Not... You go from line 2 (SB) to line 1 (Off Duty) (bathroom stuff, coffee, etc) comment the pre trip and go to line 3 (Driving)..

You don't have to log any Pre-Trip, just be satisfied.. if you go from SB to Driving then yes the LEO may question that since how did you go to the Bathroom, coffee, etc.. From Line 1 to line 3, flagging or commenting a Pre-Trip is legal either on paper or ELD. If the LEO comments about no logging of the Pre-Trip, ask them to show from FMCSA regs where you have to? FMCSA says you do not, nor is it required.

Each amount of time on lines 3 or 4 eats into your 70.. so why waste 5-15 min on line 4 each day when you don't have to?

TallJoe and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Thank you... it is simple...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are welcome.

At the OP, I must say its very important to inspect that tractor trailer. Until you know it better than a woman. That way if something starts as a frayed wire or perhaps a cooked brake shoe or other small thing, it might be a catch for you to fix it before it really bites you on cabbage downgrade.

7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    quarters in the Glad Hands, 5th wheel pulled, nails in front of tires, fuel caps in place, etc... check the jaws of your 5th wheel....

start each walk around at the same place each time and make a mental list as you walk around the tractor or trailer.. get a good LED flashlight... Turn on your 4-ways to make sure all your lights are working... lic plate light.. this is common to be burned out...

carry spare lamps with you.. if a company driver stop by your shop and get spares...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Jeff Waterstreet

Jeff Waterstreet Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2017
    No need to insult me, I got my CDL in 1977 back before they called it a CDL (was called a Chaffeur's license with articulated provision back then...didn't go to the Class A CDL until 1986) I have been working with electronic logs for over 20 years, and the electronic provision of remote diagnostics data for 25 years. I have worked with many of the largest fleets in the US on the electronic aspects of maintenance data in those 25 years.

I still think you don't understand it. Yes, the rule simply says you are to be "satisfied", and to most all DOT inspectors that means you need to at least do a walk around. And to do that in the context of logs, you need to be On Duty. (You cannot do the pretrip while in Sleeper Berth.) So if you go immediately from Sleeper Berth to driving, you could not have done the pretrip. And an astute inspector would challenge how you possibly could know (and be satisfied) that your vehicle and cargo are in good working order.

I am talking about "time", not the act of logging......

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Not insulting at all..

You keep referring to the SB.. anything from SB to driving will be questioned.. Line 1 to line 3 will not be questioned.

Go to Line 1, comment Pre-trip, then line 3.. NO line 4 required.

TallJoe and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And GET all the spares you CAN. Make sure you ask if you can have this or that or something else. You might need a milk crate to stuff it. Especially air tank valves. Snap one off 100 miles from Cheyenne in a winter storm you aint going no where.

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    And most important... make sure your pin are set on the trailer... first time you stop you will know if they are or not... if your tandems are behind the trailer, then you forgot to check..

3 weeks ago.. tandems are in the ditch..

25994761_10210822208775704_2241334954836335938_n.jpg

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.