Electronic tracking has been required on semi-trucks for 5 years. Fatalities haven't decreased.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Feb 5, 2023.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with you that there needs to be better training nationwide. The FMCSA and their industry representatives spent years to come up with the new training requirements. But you can see where the money is at, because even though several of the representatives pushed for a minimum amount of actual behind the wheel training, the ATA and Truckload Carriers groups adamantly opposed it.
    As far as the ELDs, I haven't had many issues with it, since they let us cheat with the split sleeper deal anyway. And since I only do out and back loads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I just get cranky when folks blame the eld for accidents when it has nothing to do with it.

BeHereNow97 and MSWS Thank this.
  4. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Same here. Blaming ELD for accidents would be like building a wall on the southern border and then blaming illegal immigration on the wall if it didn't stop it.

When people complain about ELD, what they're really mad at is HOS, which I get. I'm not saying HOS should be eliminated, but there are legitimate complaints to be had with it. All ELD does is make it harder to get around HOS.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  5. Graham Cracker

Graham Cracker Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    ELDs were never about safety.

They are about one thing only.

Control !!!

mitmaks Thanks this.
  6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Not sure where you're getting your information from, but just the opposite is true. The major cargo carriers like DHL, FedEx and UPS are all unionized, and corporate jet pilots generally work for leasing companies which are also unionized.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I would say this is somewhat inaccurate. Cow trucks were still wrecking and they were running under the exemption from the start until it ended a few months ago. My brother went well over two years without even doing a log page. The only reason they’re saying two accidents is because the two drivers were the only ones dumb enough to blame their wreck on being tired.

kemosabi49, gentleroger and Old_n_gray Thank this.
  8. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    There’s nothing more disingenuous than what’s done in the name of “safety”. Most of it causes as much danger as it solves.

Texas made red light cameras illegal because cities were abusing them to generate revenue and they actually made intersections less safe because people were flooring it through yellow lights.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I bought my daughter a dashcam for her birthday last year that also records speed and has a driver facing and rear window camera. She hated it at first until she got caught in a speed trap a couple months ago. She swore she was going the speed limit, and her dashcam proved that she was telling the truth. She downloaded the date stamped video showing her speed onto her cell phone and showed it to the judge, who immediately dismissed the ticket.

10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    To err is human, but it takes a computer to really foul things up. I get in a cold truck and need to take off to do my short runs, phones and tablets don't take cold all that well. I lost some drive time until things warmed up enough for the handheld stuff to work. But the blankety blank thing did catch the yard move enough to flag that. So go figure.

Just added the 28 miles onto the trip that weren't recorded. All the nanny box(idiot box) does for me that I couldn't do on paper is waste more of my tiime. The loaner issue is another. None have one installed for short term use, so it's break out the paper and pen. Again. And cell service is essential for most to work, need to upgrade devices to 4G so more dollars.

Safety, control, but guess what? The important thing is to make money off of regulations. The big companies do save using them, but it costs my company extra, with few longhaul trucks to keep track of. The livehaul people got switched to short runs and they fill out a timecard. Perfectly legal.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Controlling morons who are killing themselves and others, and driving wages into the toilet by demanding to work for free for companies that enjoy watching hillbillies kill themselves working hundreds of hours for free while they enjoy life! LOL! Control indeed

mitmaks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.