eletronic logs?

Discussion in 'PAM' started by Scoundrel, May 29, 2011.

1. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    My trainer and I have been hearing PAM's new trucks all have eletronic logs. Personally, I like the idea, fewer papers cluttering up the truck. But, has anyone actually seen any trucks equiped this way?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm on electronic logs and liked paper logs better. Plus, last week my electronic logs crashed and I had to go back to paper logs. Since it completely wiped my logs, I didn't have my required 10 days.

4. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    Wow, that could become a real issue. Electronic logs aren't new. I'd have thought those kind of troubles would've been ironed out by now.

5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Yeah all new trucks have them. And I hear by end of year all old trucks will too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Not looking forward to this

7. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Not sure about PAM's policy but I do know other carriers with e logs require you to carry a paper log in case the e log crashes.

8. kid_cardiac

kid_cardiac Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Florida
    Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a paper log in case something like this happens again.

9. badcompany

badcompany Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2008
    cullman,alabama
    Pretty sure its a dot requirement to keep a backup

10. Rick25

Rick25 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    All the new trucks are E-logs. In a since you always have a paper log handy but are not allowed to sign it or do anything with the graph. The current E-log system does not include "vehicle inspection report".

So you must fill in Truck/Trailer/Date and make a remark in blue area for ""EOBR"". Then just fill out your vehicle inspection report.

So if the system did go down you probably could just revert back to paper graphing.

If anyone has any wonders about PAM's E-logs I can probably answer it. I retired a truck last week and got a new ProStar with E-logs. It is true that all new trucks have E-logs.

11. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    ^^^^^^OOH I want one.

I'm waiting to call for my driver number and start with my PAM trainer. Strange though with my new driver package they gave me a log book and the driver manual has instructions for filling out the log and scanning it in. Though e-logs seem to eliminate a lot of busy work I would still think keeping a paper log as a backup would be a good idea.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.