EMERGENCY MONEY DISCUSSION:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Russian Rabbit, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i think it's high time to discuss alternate ways to continue some form of income. Not just driving, but ANY way to make money:

i noticed, when delivering to construction sites (i delivered to two in the past two days), that it seems to be booming as always and in no way slowing down.

Therefore, i surmise that dumptruck/concrete/lowboy driving might be a good move

b) Food/beverage and/or food beverage helper/dispatcher/warehouse etc.

c) Construction in general. i can weld ok, but i'm not certified. i took a bricklaying class, but it's probably not my thing as it takes something that i can't explain very well in words. So, general site laborer. Better than nothing.

d) Mail?

e) Medicine haulers such as Baxter, Owens-minor etc.

f)

Feel free to add suggestions

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Since I got a zero turn mower, weed eater,
    Pressure washer, generator, air compressor
    and a garage full Of all kinds of power tolls.
    And a truck and trailer to pull it.

I'd try to make some cash under the table,
    While milking that unemployment for every penny.
    Always wanted to see if I could make a buck
    On my own anyway.
    It time might have gotten here faster than I wanted it too.

4. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Farming, like trucking, you won't make much money, but you'll never starve either....

5. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Fertilizer is getting geared up , Quick money for six to eight weeks of work , pays 22 to 26 per hour with OT after 40 most will house you in a nice hotel and pay you for your onboarding and the drive to the shed North Dakota , Minnesota.
    70 to 80 hours a week or more depending on weather.
    No slackers needed , young mans game.

All of the tissue mills around the house here in NE Wisconsin are hiring shuttle drivers and yard dogs and road driver's.

With 10 million signing up for unemployment I'd say sit tight its going to get real bumpy in short order.

Good Luck

6. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I collect leaves in the fall around my neighborhood I have some fancy leaf pick up equipment. We have a lot of mature tree's in my city.
    IMG_5495.JPG

DZIX0519.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5440 (1).JPG

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Freeload off the government.... like the rest.

8. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Food is in the absolute crapper right now. Yeah grocery store stuff is still going, but Sysco is having mass layoffs and furloughs. Were having some rocky times at GFS right now with furloughs as well first time ever in company history. Besides some hospital and nursing home stuff were pretty slow right now.

I think OTR refer and probably some dry van medical supply consumables and what not masks, gloves etc etc that kind of thing Personal Protective Equipment they call it is going obviously.

Residential garbage seems to be steady. But the city departments don't want part timers you got to be committed to the cause and those city garbage department jobs they exist, but there kind of rare and hard to get.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Of those I would say Mail and Medicine. Food and beverage has already seen a big downturn. Construction likely will too. My brother is a land surveyor and hasn't worked in a couple weeks. He usually works on construction sites, but most of the projects he had lined up are shelved as contractors are waiting to see what happens before spending more money. He interviewed for a job yesterday and got hired. Today they called him to say he won't be needed as the Florida Governor just suspended state road construction projects for 30 days.

I don't if its just because I am home more to notice them or whether they are busier, but those grey Amazon sprinter vans have been buzzing my neighborhood multiple times a day. Kinda makes sense as more and more people stay home that they will be ordering groceries and supplies from Amazon and similar. I don't know how much they make, but it might be worth looking into.

10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I think a lot of those guys are 1099ers they buy the routes from Amazon and lease the van from Amazon.

double_r, Texas_hwy_287 and Redtwin Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Ya, construction especially large jobs are gonna come to a halt real soon......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.