Emergency rations- do you use them?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Katbirdmine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If there is a problem at a facility such as TMI back in the 70's or a problem with a attack the Pills will protect the thyroid and body from excessive retaining of toxic material. It's not a cureall, it's something worth having should we need it.

Im one of those people who try to have a solution for anything possible in life. The Government says they have enough of the stuff to dose the population, but I don't depend on that.

There is a history of nuclear weapons where I am in this state, including a accident in the 80's up in searcy where a 9 megaton warhead was blown out of a burning silo and was a genuine emergency. If it detonated, Memphis, Little Rock and Joplin would cease to exist. Arkansas would be meaningless.

Katbirdmine and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I carry emergency supplies with me . They are like my truck insurance I haven't had use them yet but I always got it with just in case .

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    With all those above ground nuclear tests done throughout the years they were performed, I wouldn't be too surprised of all the unchecked damage that had been done concerning fall-out. Seemed to have been enough of them done to equal a regional conflict at the very least.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I find the biggest I can find for the house. I think it's 1500 watt. But that's pushing it. Electrician had to put in a 30 amper T plug and rewire to a larger capacity cable to feed both that, coffee pot and one other when all going at same time in morning in addition to GFCI.

One of these days that 30 amp will feed the new computer build. But I would be the only one in the building able to pull that much. (And pay for it.)

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The op's question was.
    I like the mre's. But then I liked c-rats also.
    Like all food. Spice, herbs and preparation make a difference.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  7. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    You're borderline diabetic? And this is your grocery list?
    If you think those diet sodas are okay you are wrong, not to mention hamburger, hot dogs and bacon, sugary cereals, etc....
    You may want to rethink your list. Even fruit drinks are filled with sugars. I am not an elitist and enjoy my orange juice and an occasional soda, but I drink my coffee black and my water straight.

DSK333, bentstrider83 and Jazz1 Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Hamburger, steaks, baked chicken,.. not fried, hotdogs and bacon,.. lots of bacon and sausages,.. actually lots and lots of meat in general. You should check your sources. I've been controlling my high blood sugar levels with nothing but my diet for years now. I eat a low carb and low sugar diet. Anything with more than 15 - 16 grams of per serving I stay away from.

Diet soda is perfectly fine as well,..they have no sugar. In fact you can research this,.. Stevia and aspartame are artificial sweeteners that on some people will trick the body into thinking it is ingesting real sugar and the body will release higher levels of insulin and keep blood sugar levels in check. I am one of those people. I get check ups every 4 - 6 months. My doctor encourages my soda consumption and to stay away from sweet tea and fruit juices.

Sugary cereal and milk will spike my levels,.. thats why I do them in moderation. Have you seen the size of the cardboard and plastic bowels they sell? I like to have 2 - 3 small bowels of cereal a week. Perfectly fine for me.

I am not diagnosed as a diabetic. Only high blood sugar in my urine during a physical once. Changed my diet and have been fine ever since.

You do yours,.. and I'll do mine.

Hurst

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have 2 of these generators. My first one is almost 3 yrs old now. Its been everywhere,.. from Fla to the rockies,.. triple digits in Az to -10 in the Dakotas and Mn. Never a hickup. Electric start,.. cranks up every time and very very quiet. 100% reliable.

It can power my 8500 BTU window AC, Fridge, 32' LCD TV, Sat dish and set top box and Microwave all at the same time. Has a 3.5 gal fuel tank and will stay running for 15 - 20 hours depending on the power draw.

$2000 at Northern Tools.

Hurst

DSK333, Blackshack46 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I need to throw a little grill in my truck. I’m the king of buying a steak at any small town butcher and firing up the grill back in the yard.

11. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i have basicly the same fridge/microwave setup different brand but about the same size. try to always have a min of 2-3 gallons of water in the truck at all times. carry atleast a weeks worth of food plus a few days of non perishables.

no generator but do have a diesel fired bunk heater. could keep me warm for a couple days till the battery's wen't dead if i broke down however tow truck response time is typically a lot shorter than that...lol

im typically home ever week but typically carry 2 weeks worth of supply's. so even on my last day out for the week i still have a weeks worth of supply's in the truck. that way if a hot load that is worth while pops up for the weekend i don't have to worry about buying over price truck stop junk. if i stretched it and used all my non perishables as well i could probably make it close to 3 weeks. only thing i typically buy on the road is water. i use about a gallon of water per day sometimes a little more. so i try to just maintain around 3 gallons.

Katbirdmine and Hurst Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.