Emergency Situations Swift mentor phase

Discussion in 'Swift' started by FloridaRaisedTexasMade956, Nov 8, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That reminds me.

Make sure you speak simply, firmly and with very strong words nicely saying this is going to happen on this day, the company needs to make a decision what to do with your truck as you will not be in it after that day.

DO NOT get wishy washy, weak, turning that into a question or whatever. They will absolutely dispatch you 2000 miles that way so you will never see your boy. (That is where you have a plan B of flying home from wherever the truck is to be with your boy a while.)

Once the boss understands one simple fact. You are not with your truck for a while after this date. Where does HE want it stashed?

Remember, if he is a good employer, he will keep you. If he is a abusive employer and does not have mensch feelings for the boy or you? Then he will eliminate you pronto.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FloridaRaisedTexasMade956

FloridaRaisedTexasMade956 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2019
    I live im the southern border town of weslaco, tx close to mcallen,tx and most of those want 3 years most laredos swift was the only thing close to home that would take mebin at the time

x1Heavy, Lepton1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Not his truck.
    Op is in the training phase with a mentor.

Moosetek13, x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. FloridaRaisedTexasMade956

FloridaRaisedTexasMade956 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Thanks to everybody that replied i will be sure too let you guys know what happens i appreciate the concerns for my son. My Kids Are always my number 1 priority and i would do anything for them. Im going to let my mentor and DDL know whats going on hopefully they understand if not a one way trip i go thanks everyone

Lepton1, x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are welcome.

Children have a special place in my heart, such as it is. Always have always will even though I don't know how to be a daddy myself. We had a very different upbringing when children ourselves exposed to a certain type of society that requires caregivers and nursing for those classmates who will not have normal lives. Because of that experience, I feel that any time a Daddy needs to take care of a kid in crisis or a powerful situation medically etc there cannot and must not be any company on earth telling Daddy "No" they cannot be that mean. Its not acceptable at all to me.

If I was Daddy in your situation with that kid pending, God will have to take me to prevent me from being with that kid when the time comes. Ive repeated myself here but companies do not understand my resolve would extend to quitting for cause if they tried to force me to be with the truck in this time of need. Its just not going to happen.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Express
    Stevens Transprort
    CFI - www.cfidrive.com
    Heyl Truck Lines - 6 mos. exp. - terminal in Florida - hires McAllen area drivers.
    Freymiller
    CalArk
    GR Fresh

x1Heavy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Yep, go take care of kid. Worry about job later.

LoSt_AgAiN and mitrucker Thank this.
  9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    First of all, DP Trucker is the only Swift driver that answered you and the only one that gave you accurate information. NEVER take the advice of x1Heavy especially regarding Swift, a company he knows nothing about.

Talk to your mentor and call your coordinator. I'm sure they will work something out for you. You've given them plenty of time to get it done. I hope everything works out well for you and your son.

Frank

10. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    I'll #### talk Swift as much as the next guy, but I will say that this is one of the few rare situations they'll get you on a plane home (one of the only things that company does RIGHT IMO). Talk to your DM... or, I guess since you're on a mentor truck, it would be talk to your mentor's DM in your case, and as has already been mentioned, also let your mentor know

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I never had a trainee that had a family emergency. You speak the truth regarding Swift training protocol. You are assigned a Driver Development Manager during your training phase. When you finish training and upgrade to solo, THEN you are assigned a Driver Manager out of your home terminal.

The last time I was with Swift was in '15. At that time a trainee had to complete 200 hours behind the wheel training (drive time) to complete training. From the time a trainee got in my truck to the time they qualified to upgrade to solo was about 28 days. If you are still in training as of December 17th there's something seriously wrong with your work ethic, your mentor, or complete lack of freight.

This means you will likely be developing a new relationship with a new DM, running solo when your son's surgery comes up. Communicate, communicate, communicate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.