Empty trailers.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Box of Tj, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    It's Swift's mt, not yours. If you're not dispatched, you can't hold the trailer and you could be out $40 for a lock.

Another tip ... If you're at a terminal and there are no mts, go to the trailer shop. See if there are any trailers they're finishing up.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    I have got trailers this way

4. 3523

3523 Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    I understand what you’re saying but what’s the difference between being at the terminal or anywhere else. If you’re not dispatched on a load can someone pull up at the truck stop and tell you they’re taking your mt? Why the special treatment if you’re at the terminal.

If I’m there for 24+ hours then obviously I’ll give up my mt but if I’m there for one night then I consider it mine just like if I was anywhere else. It’s not like I haven’t done tons of trailer solutions myself. Go find your own mt, this one is taken.

(Also, being in the Costco fleet I know that I’ll always need an mt for my next load unless it’s a back haul.)

CK73 Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    When that happened to me once when I told my DM I would be late to tomorrow's pickup as I'd have to go on duty and restart my 10, the other driver's DM magically found another mty for him.
    I could have bobtailed to the pickup, but I didn't want to give my DM the option it was ok to give my mty away without consequences.

6. Box of Tj

Box of Tj Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2014
    You guys make it sound like this is so cut-throat, like every driver and dm is out to get you. Hell, I don't talk to anybody at Swift for days/weeks sometimes, and when I do talk to my DM it's always great, we talk about cars and crawfish and how crappy kids can be and ####. Did I get lucky?

7. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    Nah ... Got along great with DMs, FMs, CSRs and planners. Some shops could be peels. The people I worked with is the reason I stayed way beyond the point of when I should have left.

Another tip ... Check the High Value line. Drivers will put a seal on an mt and try to hide it there.

Box of Tj Thanks this.
  8. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I've spent hours fishing for an empty after mine being "Stolen" and made under $10 not to mention screwing up my route and home time.

That's why I use the enforcer, kingpin, and gladhand lock around the holidays when it really counts. If you defeat my triple play well good for you Houdini but let's be real it ain't happening.

9. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    Shop will gladly cut those off … and it's not your trailer, it's Swifts to use as they see fit.

10. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Path of least resistance. Is not defeating 3 locks. I am disapoint at you.

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    They may decide to cut all those locks off simply because you decided to put them on.

It costs Swift only a little time to remove them, but then you would have to replace them on your dime if you ever wanted to pull that 'trick' again.
    Mystic is right - it is not your trailer.

I will put a seal on it to try and hold it, but I would never risk nearly $100 on locks to do it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.