End dump lease on city local work..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, May 23, 2020.

1. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Daughters boyfriend called up last night with news that his dad could get me a job pulling an end dump for a guy that needs a driver for his extra truck.. In our area there's re building the entire interstate bridges and all for like 20 mile. Said I could start monday (its friday evening). Red flag immediately went up. Who hires someone sight unseen to drive his truck? Someone who has the ####tiest truck driving job available that's who.. Probably a beater piece of crap freightliner or something with no ac in texas heat but who knows right?He said they pay between 900-1200 a week 9-11 hours a day. So not that great pay but normal I guess for the area. His dad does the same but he owns his truck and trailer and leases it on to the same company. Says he makes $70 an hour.. I'm out of work right now so that being the case cant see anybody giving me finiancing for a truck or the trailer. I don't know everything so thus the post. It seems for me I either have a truck and no work or have the work with no truck lately..I could use some credit cards but pretty sure they won't allow you to use one for a down payment again I don't know. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    That's all you really need to know. That's ridiculously cheap for a end dump.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    $70 an hour for what, a one ton? Cause I’m not even rolling the hood on a big truck for that

find a good company to work for

Ruthless and joseph1853 Thank this.
  5. ProteinBar

ProteinBar Bobtail Member

May 17, 2020
    Dealers dont care where the money comes from so long as its not illegal. Ive used my credit card in the past to pay a down payment on a vehicle, not sure a truck dealer would be any different.

On a side note, i think its a bad idea to get your own truck simply because you see potential to make more money. The boys father is possibly set up to make more because hes been doing it longer. They could also not take your truck simply because they dont know you and then youd be stuck with a truck and no work.

ChevyCam, Doealex and joseph1853 Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Bad jobs are easy to find.

black_dog106, roshea, MM71 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    yeah, that's what my other question is. I have no idea what the rate typically is for that kind of work. So what would be a good or at least decent rate?

8. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Probably taking rocks/road debre to the dump with a 34' end dump trailer I'm guessing.

9. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    So true.. I tell people it's not hard finding a "job" that's difficult it's finding a good one. Plenty of soul crushing truck driving jobs as you stated.

10. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Just because to make more money? I really don't mean to be rude but what better reason could there be? I mean we work to make money that's the whole goal right? Pay the bills? If I'm going to be driving a truck might as well do it making as much money as I can right? I don't know maybe I misunderstood you? Could you elaborate?

11. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Hourly trailer rates here are $85-90. I still think that's too cheap. I don't think trailers should be making less than a $100 a hour. That said, it depends on how hard they're running you too. If you're sitting waiting to load/unload quite a bit $85-90 can be ok if you're not burning a lot of fuel. I personally, would never attempt to pay for a truck on rates cheaper than that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.