End dump lease on city local work..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, May 23, 2020.

1. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Do you have end dump experience, its a dangerous line of work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I read your post as you dont know #### about the guy, his equipment, dirt hauling, or owning a truck. Yet you're out of work and think 900-1200wk is crap money.

Do that guy a favor and dont run a truck for him and go drive for Swift.

4. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Right, I was thinking the conditions probably have something to do with the pay considering it's a deal that's close to home and thus home every night and I don't "think" there running that hard 9-11 hours a day kinda deal.

You said you wouldn't consider trying to pay for a truck with that pay why is that? I did the math and it seems like more then enough to pay for a decent used truck and trailer for that matter.

5. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Your assuming I gave you every bit of information on my post? Well I didn't.. Either way the post was giving to gather information on the subject because as you a "gentlmen" im sure stated I don't know #### about it lol..

I might have been a bit over zealous in my description of the guys offer but from what I've learned in the past that is usually the situation..And if you knew #### you'd know that also lol..

I've hauled everything from corn/grain in a hopper bottom to concrete garage walls. I don't think a dump truck will be rocket science..

Thanks for your opinion though..

z32sean and lsnook24 Thank this.
  6. lsnook24

lsnook24 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2019
    As you see there's alot of........on this site...lol

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  7. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    It still surprising me though for some reason..

8. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    If it was just that easy, find some work, buy a truck and trailer and make way more money. Wouldn't everyone be doing it? You find work, buy a rig then the work dries up what do you do then?

And you said you did the math on that 70$ and hour rate. Do you know what insurance is gonna cost you, plates, priced a set of new tires? Did you figure in down time, rain days,

9. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Good points.

I did not figure in down time or plates but I did put in maintenance savings so I guess the tires and plates fit into that category.

Per week cost $250 for insurance, truck payment $100, trailer payment $100, Fuel $150, paycheck $1000 with a left over of $1200 for tires, plates, breakdowns, down time etc.. This is calculated at a minimum gross of $2800 for a 40 hour week and $70 per hour..

Wouldn't everyone be doing it? I see your point but not everyone's the same as far as ability goes and there are people who are doing it successfully which means it is possible. But obviously there are also those who don't so there's that.

From what I can tell those that don't are those who do not know how to budget and do not take into account the many factors involved as you stated at least that's my theory.

The story goes they start making more money and think it means they can start buying stuff (boat, motorcycle, new car/truck, house etc) and then there business gets the left overs and then a breakdown occurs were they need to crank out thousands of dollars to fix and they don't have it and they do the credit thing paying high interest and then well you get the idea..

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

......$100 a week for a truck, $100 a week for a trailer....For a dump trailer for that matter.
    Must be one hell of a lot of deals where you live at.

SL3406 Thanks this.
  11. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Right, were I live you can get an older truck that's in decent condition for around $20,000 and the trailer for the same. There is a end dump trailer listed currently in my area for $13000. This job isn't an over the road deal were you'd be cranking out 600 miles a day. Maybe 150 a week and you'd always be close to home.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.