End dump tarp suggestions

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Crotts Trucking, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Crotts Trucking

Crotts Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Duncan, AZ
    i am looking for suggestions on tarps for my 99 alumatech 39' end dump. It currently has a cable mesh tarp, but the product I'm hauling can't get wet so I sit home when it storms. Should I get a replacement vinyl or fabric for my current system (Aero crank and go 1 I believe) or bite the bullet and get a side to side roll tarp? If I do that it won't be electric. Thanks for suggestions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Sounds like you just need to switch out the mesh for heavy vinyl, right? Or do you need to be entirely waterproof? I know generally the front-back tarp systems are not entirely waterproof as the back flap is left to do just that... Flap. But I have seen a couple guys rig up back caps to work with front-back tarps. Not knowing what your loading, the nice thing with those systems are that your bows are never in the way or can get damaged while loading.
    Side-side tarps would certainly get you complete weather tight coverage but you'll have to swing bows if your loading construction stuff, but you can get flex bows. Careful with side-side as a good sealed setup can create enough suction if you trip the gate to unload and suck your bows in. Never leave your tarp handle behind the gate either, unless you want to roll your tarp with a banana handle. There are electric options for side-side to.

Ruthless and Crotts Trucking Thank this.
  4. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    If you want waterproof, I recommend good end caps front and back plus a good roll tarp. I agree on the flex bows as well. I can tell you from experience that especially with a hand crank the better shape your bows are in, the easier it will be to crank the tarp. I pull a 39' frameless wide body and take coal to Chicago and then return with flyash on the back haul. On those days when we have had rain that then froze, I really appreciated have a motorized crank.

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
  6. Crotts Trucking

Crotts Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Duncan, AZ
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I finally got a hold of someone at the manufacturer and either he is a real good salesman, or the vinyl will work. New tarp was only $600, so I figured I'd try it out with my current system, and if it gives me grief I'll buy a side to side. Preacher Man, I also have a electric motor and love it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.