END DUMP VS BELT TRAILER ??

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by iamfargo, Mar 17, 2019.

1. iamfargo

iamfargo Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2019
    Ok I’m getting into the end dump business and all I read is trailers tipping over left and right . Also the insurance for a new business venture for end dump is crazy ! I’ll be running east coast and mid west so I’ve been reading up on belt trailers ? So I was wondering if I go the belt trailer route what can and can’t I haul ? And should I stick with 40 foot end dump or go belt trailer ? I’ll be hauling a wide verity from landscape ag to feed , fertilizer , corn Ect . Please I need advice from experience truckers here ! Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    However if you do go dump I have a 17 for sale A4F3DA6F-2B2B-40C5-9956-E0CAAC02100C.jpeg 7886B9A6-15E5-434D-BCF0-0E5247A81526.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    Ok yes if I do go dump I’m going half round frameless mac ..: I heard they make a anti tipping device for dump trailers ???

5. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    blade Thanks this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I've been in the agricultural business most my life. I've seen belt trailer hauling every type of gain/seed product you can think of. Also seen them used for fertilizer, gravel, compost, manure, root crops and many other things.

I would imagine you could haul most everything in a belt trailer you can in an end dump... With the exception of large rip-rap, boulders, and other large rock or stone.

But alas I will say that I have only personally used belted straight trucks to haul ag products, never personal run a belted trailer. I have had them unload at facilites where I worked bringing me fertilizer though.

I would recommend a double drive system (both front and rear rollers are powered) if you decide to go with a belted trailer.

The best ones ive seen IMO had thier own self contained power... Such as a small diesel engine that powered the hydraulic system to unload the trailer, no modifications or add ons to the truck needed. These type could be unloaded even if the trailer had been dropped and the truck was not there.

And also make sure it can run that belt very very slow under load in case you unload into an old pit that cant handle alot of product at once.

Edit: Also the ability to run the belt both directions can come in handy at times... Such as needing to shift weight forward.

wore out and blade Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Keep yourself on level ground and use the trolley brake to raise the bed. You won't have any issues of tipping over. And you can be empty in 10 seconds.

It's not hard to determine level ground. Watch the mirrors. Trailer goes straight up. You're golden. A tilt to one side or the other before going up. There's your sign.

Make sure no overhead of any kind first though. You don't want to take out a power line or something.

8. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    @Cattleman84 thanks so much I’m calling trinity today I heard they have the most dutiable litest in the industry . But I will definitely consider the belt trailer after this response almost re assurance to what I’ve been told thanks for responding .

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  9. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    10-4 thanks for advice .. do they make a anti tip system for dump trailers ?

10. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    I haven't seen such a device. My end dump doesn't have air bags so the on the tractor dump when the PTO is engaged. I believe all Mac trailers are air ride, so be sure to dump the trailer bags and could dump tractor bags also when dumping. That makes the truck and trailer more stable. The flattest ground possible is a must. Can't tell you how many times a load man will back me into a hole and want me to dump out. They don't get it, but I won't dump where I'm not comfortable.

11. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019

10-4 yes I was definitely told to dump bags in tractor and trailer when getting loaded and u loaded ? But if my tractor is automatic do I put it in nuetruel or park ? And apply trailer brake ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.