Endorsments

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by lil penny, Dec 15, 2017.

1. lil penny

lil penny Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Thanks for the info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. midnightlost

midnightlost Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    No clue if its different but where I am it's $115 cost, go down to the agency fill out paper work and get fingerprints done for the background check. Once background returns as approved you can schedule to test for the endorsement.

I'd imagine if you pass the TWIC background you'll pass the TSA for hazmat.

lil penny Thanks this.
  4. MarkH129

MarkH129 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I got my TWIC first, then got my CLP and took all my endorsement tests. The hazmat was only 67$ since I already had my TWIC (I didn't have to get finger printed a second time so maybe that's why it's cheaper if you already have a TWIC) I just got the letter from TSA stating that I met the requirements for a Hazmat endorsement so when I get my CDL I will have that endorsement.

IluvCATS and lil penny Thank this.
  5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Good job. I did exactly the same thing. If you think you want endorsements then get them before getting the final CDL because it shows it on your actual license when you go take the pic. Once it’s done it’s done. No refreshers or anything..Once you are out on the road you won’t have the time or energy. Do it first.

MarkH129 and lil penny Thank this.
  6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Oh ya, don’t worry if you aren’t suddenly a hazmat expert, even though it says you are on your license. Honestly, I cannot remember 75% of that hazmat test. My company trained me on the procedures for the 1 hazmat that we haul. Nobody expected me to walk in the door knowing what to do. It just means legally I can do it.

MarkH129 and lil penny Thank this.
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Only use I've had for the TWIC so far is when a customer wants a photo ID. I hand over the TWIC and they can make all the copies of it they want, because there is no personal info printed on the card other than my name and picture. Nobody has ever specifically asked me for it, though.

lil penny Thanks this.
  8. LateNightCable

LateNightCable Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I watched an interview with a veteran trucker who said he regretted letting go of his endorsements.

Why would someone do that, and how would you “let go” of them anyway? And what would stop somebody from simply reacquiring them?

9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I've had, and let go my HAZMAT many times over the years. The extra expense, time and fingerprints is a hassle to me. In my experience, the money just doesn't justify the added hoops to jump through unless you're with a carrier (or yourself) that hauls a bunch of placarded freight.

Passenger endorsement requires taking the test in a bus for some reason and the others are just written tests. I keep doubles/triples but I'll most like never use it. I also keep my tanker endorsement but that one I've used inadvertently many times over the years without actually pulling a tanker.

10. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    It’s a 30 question multiple choice test. Just knock it out. Easy peasy

11. oldC10

oldC10 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Rockingham, NC
    Did you have any endorsements put on your CLP?

I ask because I took the tanker & doubles test about a week after getting my CLP. Then the lady told me she could add the tanker, but not the doubles to my permit. She went on to say that I would end up paying for it twice, once on the permit and again on the CDL (if I understood her correctly). Since she hadn't charged me yet for the testing, I asked if I could just walk away, owe nothing, & test again when I came in for the CDL. Yes, so I did some free practice testing. Another complication for me was the end of my school training was more than 90 days away. I believe the test scores are no good beyond 90 days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.