Engaging PTO in automatics?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by tscottme, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Kemp

Kemp Bobtail Member

May 25, 2019
    Ok I build rollbacks and wreckers of all kinds Petes, Freightliners, Dodges , Ford's , Kenworth, and internationals. My biggest question is who might know a easier way to tighten the nuts on the studs when installing a pto to the transmission? I use 1/2 inch and 9/16 make shift wrenches to accommodate the small space I have to work with . Now mind you im under the truck on a creeper putting this thing in. It can kind of be tricky anyone have any hints to make this process easier . And does anyone know if someone makes a ratchet wrench with thin walls on the boxed end. Not sure if it exists or even possible!

2. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Unfortunately I think your gonna be limited and I have always done that same as you with different wrenches. There is never room for a gear wrench of any type on the tough to get to nuts and an open wrench is the only way.

One other tool that can help with leverage on the final torque on those tough ones is crows foot with an extension.

3. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    Screenshot_20190526-090940_Chrome.jpg

4. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    Btw... home depot...

5. Derekthetusken

Derekthetusken Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2021
    Hi all. I have a 16 Pete 579 with the auto trans. Truck is used as a dump truck. I tried spreading my material. Truck would not go into drive with the PTO on so I could raise the box while moving. Does something with the computer need to be changed?

6. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Yes. Take it to the dealer and have them change that setting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.