Engel , Whynter , Dometic?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by BlackThought, Jun 16, 2018.

Which do you prefer

1. Engel

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Dometic

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Whynter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    Price not being considered. Which of these brands is the most efficient(power draw) ,best designed,durable,features?

I'm in need of a freezer no bigger than a Coleman truck stop fridge. Will be on passenger seat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When you find it, buy it.

It really does not matter what the price you said, therefore after you specified the size required and where it's going to ride, the first one you see is what you buy matching those minimum requirements.

Remember when a box is trying to keep food cool or frozen, it can only do so much specifically considering what the cab's overall internal air temperature is at. The colder the better. Also humid would make things pretty fun. (Make provision for drainage off the coils if any)

We had one under our cabinet 24/7 all year. Filled with all sorts of perishables which had a 3 day limit on consumption for us. (Two drivers) Bacon from Wyoming was the one exception. In the size we bought those at there, it itself became a assisting ice block for a while to keep everything else cooler longer.

4. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    Engle has been superb for me.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Engel units have never let me down. I have used them overseas, in Death Valley, Yuma and other hot places and they kept going with food very cold.

6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I replied to one of these earlier thinking I had Dometic. Its a Norcold. Been running nonstop six months. Zero complaints.

7. BlackThought

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    Never heard of Norcold. There's more of these than I realized. Might narrow down an Engel. Space is limited. But I need to eat better

8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Norcold has been making RV refrigerators 40-Years or more. The one in my travel trailer is “new” (1992) as to operation.

9. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Inverter and wally world dorm fridge with a seperate freezer. Or wally world small freezer since you said freezer.

Do not buy into the hype over the truck specific units or the thermoelectric junk stuff. I've had 2 wally units, one 11 years, this one 8 yrs, sitting on the floor in shakers. 300 bucks for almost 20 yrs service beats the hell out of ANY $600.00 specialty crap.

Samuelh Thanks this.
  10. BlackThought

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    I worry about the fridge killing my batteres using an inverter. Anyway to stop that?

11. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015

It's pretty simple. Work. Having said that, my truck will sit all week this week, just like it did last year and start right up. It's a 16 with the original batteries leaving your CB, dashcam, quallcom, laptop or tablet and GPS turned on while parked are more likely to drain the batteries than the inverter and fridge. I'm an owner, it is my opinion that if you forget to turn the running lights off after 3 days and the truck don't start you are slacking on maintaining the truck. Everything sold since 2010 can be set to start on its own to charge the batteries if the voltage drops too low. Dead batteries are a sure sign of a crap owner or operator.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.