Engine Brake - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckDuo, May 15, 2013.

1. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    My wife and I are on our second day as a team. Things have gone well so far but today our trucks engine brake is not working. Our company wants us to continue onto the receiver thru W-V, V, & PA. These states are mountainous and I'm thinking it would be unsafe to drive thru without an engine brake. Should I ask to be re-powered or continue and deliver the load ?

Since I'm green to this business... I would like advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    those hills were there before jakes..so man up.. find a different route or get some experience with mountin driving..You will have so much more confidence after you make it. How heavy are you?

passion4polishing and MNdriver Thank this.
  4. AchioteCoyote

AchioteCoyote Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2011
    West Jordan, Utah
    If it were me, I wouldn't continue on through West Virginia, Virginia and Pennsylvania without the engine brakes.

Again.... a DM sits behind the desk and goes home every night. You're the one who knows best.

kirk Thanks this.
  5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

And what would you do in the hills if it were winter? You can't run with the jake all the time.

The jake is a supplement, not a replacement for driving.

6. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    pay attention to the % grade signs, hit the crests super slow, right lane, 4 ways on, grab probably sixth gear, maintain 45 or whatever the posted limit is for trucks - 5 mph and roll...dont let mountains scare you. No big deal.

davetiow Thanks this.
  7. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    How heavy are you ? Mostly interstate ? Trailer brakes working OK ?
    If not ultra - heavy, and mainly interstate, no big problem. Just take your time, watch your speed, do it in the daytime. Many, many trucks have no exhaust brake at all, and manage to deliver freight daily.
    Now perhaps if you have a bunch of 2 lane roads to run, delivering 80,000 to some small town waaaay in the hills,different story.But I doubt if they would give you a load like that yet.
    If you are confident in your abilities, just do it. If unsure,ask your DM, or whoever. I think you can do it.

8. BigX72

BigX72 Light Load Member

just take it slow....

9. sharp.dressed.man

sharp.dressed.man Heavy Load Member

Dec 10, 2011
    IL
    It's your life be honest with yourself if you don't think you have the comfort and skill to get through safely then don't do it.

I agree with the other comments that this is a skill you will have to learn if you plan to make a career out of driving. I would let your dm know and see if you can be routed to the nearest service center.

10. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    The load is 15,000lbs. Mostly interstate. Trailer brakes are working ok.

I was going to do it after getting your advice so I called my company but they said i lost the load due to shop status.

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I love the feeling of brotherhood on this forum.

11. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    My engine brake hasn't worked in 2 months I've been up and Down the nc/tn pass there out to co. Pa/wv. I've had no problems... Oh yea mostly 80,000 lbs lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.