Engine Brake - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckDuo, May 15, 2013.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Tap the clutch and brake pedals to make sure a switch is not stuck open, pull them up with the toe of your foot. Otherwise, an engine brake is nothing more than a fancy accessory that is nice to have.

WorldofTransportation Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
  4. Vikingblood

Vikingblood Bobtail Member

May 15, 2013
    El Paso tx
    I've gone down cabbage with no trailer brakes some old Schneider driver was mad he got fired had some witnesses state a driver cut my lines said because they did him dirty. Like these people said drop a cpl gears brake for 5 steady seconds if you gain speed faster than 10 your in wrong gear. Best of luck and all be safe

5. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't call it "unsafe" but I'd call it "less safe", especially since you are new to trucking. Like others have said, if you're in the right gear you should be fine-- as long as you don't ride your brakes.

A lot of driving is about comfort level. If you're not comfortable you're probably going too fast for the situation. So take it slow.

I got reseated into a new truck recently. The engine brakes did not work and my first load was through the mountains in PA and I got a rude awakening on my maiden run when I realized the engine brakes weren't working. I just took it slower and more careful than I would have if I had the brakes. But I still didn't feel very comfortable with the situation even though I took it slower than usual. I've run that same route before many times with the engine brakes and to me, they really increase the safety factor as well as my comfort level.

It sounds like your company emphasizes SAFETY and they've got your back. Good deal.

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I don't even let my trainees use an engine break until they show me they can go down a mountain without one. Your trainer should have taught you how to do that.

DE36535 and Sublime Thank this.
  7. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    That was actually a light-med load, you would have been fine...

8. amanzanedo

amanzanedo Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Yea right.

9. Busy dad

Busy dad Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Driving without an engine brake is do able, Freightliner with 450 Mercedes and an exhaust brake. we run east to west 9 to 12 % grades and 6 axles 100,00lbs . I enjoyed it far better with a better truck , yet it can be done.. Don't drive over your skill level..I always assume it doesn't work and so far no problems.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  10. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    What is the yea right about... People have gone down mountains in far older equipment without engine brakes, with no power steering and less creature comforts... If you rely on the eigine brake to get to the bottom you probably need to find a new career.. Or a box.. What would happen if you were dropping off a pass and your engine brake gives out.. I guess you just quit and let it roll to the bottom.. I am very concerned about the future of this industry when we are worried about an engine brake..

11. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Some of these folks wouldn't have made it 30 years ago.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.