Engine breaking On 10th speed manual.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Angry Ed, May 21, 2018.

1. Angry Ed

Angry Ed Bobtail Member

May 21, 2018
    Hi, I have a Volvo 2012 With D13 engine. Manual. Just noticed engine break doesn’t work on 10th speed. Is this normal?
    All other speeds it works. I’m pretty sure I’ve used it on 10th speed before “check engine” light came in. Boss trying to tell me it not supposed to work on 10th...
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im not sure exactly your engine, transmission etc. You have a newer truck than what I am familiar with.

It could be very well POSSIBLE your BOSS told or programmed your tractor not to allow the use of a jake brake in top gear.

I personally never heard of such a thing. I will have to google around and see if that is a possible programming restriction for newer trucks by company owners.

In my experience once in a while at cruise in top gear say 70 mph, you might lift your foot a little bit and the engine will kick in the jacobs braking automatcially. brapbrapbrapbrap brap you slow to say 62 traffic problem resolves and you get on the power to get back to cruise. It's very common.

Now if your BOSS managed to program the truck computer to prevent that engine brake from coming on in top gear, you have no choice but to take your foot off and move it to the brake pedal and use that there. Or the Trolley valve on the trailer a moment to do the same type of temporary slow down.

I am caught between two opinions. One side says all trucks with engine brakes work in any gear. No problem.

The other side points a finger at your boss who told your truck not to use engine brake in top gear. What a douche.

Follow me? I don't know how to resolve this. Im not even certain that is what's happening.

That leaves me a third option. Your truck is not feeling well and is sick somewhere. Threw a code for a engine fault and MAYBE disconnected the jacobs brake to protect itself until that illness is cured at a shop. You follow me?

4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    My truck is a 2010 and EB works in all gears.

5. CascadeDiesel509

CascadeDiesel509 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019

Were you able to figure out your problem with your engine brake not working in 10th gear? I am having the same issue.
    Thanks

6. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    Need more info on your truck is it ishift or manual? How long do you drive this truck??? Any codes active at the moment??

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Angry ed hasn't been back since he posted, he did say it was a 10 speed and a manual.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  8. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    Fixed my post. Was asking CascadeDiesel509

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  9. CascadeDiesel509

CascadeDiesel509 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019
    It's a Manual 10 speed. 2012 Vnl670 D13. No Codes. I recently purchased it and so far I have driven 200 miles on it was testing the truck before I hit the road.
    It works in every gear except for 10th. Also when I am in 10th and I hit the auto mode on the engine brake to activate when I press the brake pedal and it also doesn't work in 10th but when I am in cruise control it also doesn't engage after i set a max speed. But when I hit the 1 thru 3 modes as I am cruising it cuts the cruise control out but wont engage the engine brake while I am in 10th. But it all works well in every other gear. When I bought the truck it worked. The truck sat for a few months because i was waiting for better weather to come. Could it be some sort of relearn thing?
    Thank you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.