Engine Fan Staying On...

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by tkilby, Jun 23, 2010.

1. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

No damage, but a proper operating system needs no help !!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TURKER

TURKER Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks. I am doing it for just to avoid over heating,other than engine runs about 200F with heavy load going up hill.with out the fan on.

Amber75707 Thanks this.
  4. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    if your fan sensor system is operating properly, you are just wasting fuel by running the fan more than the system really needs.

5. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

and 200 degrees is nothing nowadayz !!!!!!!

But honestly, lots of us turn it on manually, no biggie !!!!

6. VARITHMS

VARITHMS Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I know its a waist of fuel to keep it on much. During the 90 deg. plus days here I keep it on in traffic to keep the air moving under the hood. I would think it would help the alternator, sensors, and a/c parts keep cool. Before it put a switch on I would go through two gallons of oil in 15k miles now I'm down to one. When the fan is on I don't get above 1400-1500 rpm's. It also keeps the fan off when traffic clears, it will stay on for miles of the ecm cycles it on.

7. tkilby

tkilby Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2010
    :biggrin_2556:Found the problem with the fan, with engine running there was voltage to air-control solenoid it was replaced and the fan is now cycling.

8. belltransit

belltransit Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2010
    oak grove, mo
    congrats tkilby. sounds like your shop knows what they are doin.

greenmile_08 Thanks this.
  9. Montana Owner Op

Montana Owner Op Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I have a 97 Pete with a cat and all of a sudden the engine fan started to stay on! I have changed the air switch on the fire wall and have noticed that it has constant power? The switch is suppose to be normally closed according to Peterbilt? I have talked to Peterbilt and they told me to change the way it was plumbed to normally open still not working? I have jumped the high pressure and let it run for 45 min and still runs, could this just be the manual switch in the dash? i am going to change the relays and try to figure out why it has power all the time?

Thanks Dan

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  10. Gordon vaughn

Gordon vaughn Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Which switch is the high pressure switch I have 2 on the ac one is blue and one is red I take it the red is high pressure .

11. W903B

W903B Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Yes Red is high pressure side and blue is low another is size red diameter is bigger so bigger cap fits on it then lower pressure side.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.