Engine fan switch on cat 6 NZ

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Tripple7, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Tripple7

Tripple7 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2017
    In My Truck
    ok. Before I bought this truck 4 years ago some idiot has went and ran all kinds extra wires to the extra switches ,
    Now I have a cut off engine switch on one of my switches , if the switch is in down position it will try to start but won't start. It has to be up to start. So I have a train horn and the push button switch went bad so I opened up panel where all the extra switches are and I noticed some wires went to nothing they were hooked up to switches but was cut at other end. So I took the wires off. Now there were 2 wires just stuck down in one of the switches for the engine fan to manually turn it on. So I took them out put an end on them and stuck them back where they were. Now that I did that all of a sudden I manually turn my fan on and my truck dies.
    I didn't not move any wires. This wiring is so messed up. Now what I need is how can I run a separate switch myself with out even messing with the ones already in my truck to be able to manually turn my engine fan on and off if I want to. It cuts on automatically on its own. But as when it gets hot outside it gets up to 200 Degrees before it cuts on and only way to keep my truck ac cool at that degrees is turn on and run engine fan while I sit and idle truck at 1000 rpm .
    Where would the wire be going to the fan so I can do that on a separate switch I install myself. And just leave the other switch alone. Cause aparentaly it has to stay in down position to keep the truck running now all of a sudden.
    So what I'm asking is I need to install a manual fan switch and need to know where to find the wire to do it from the engine fan.
    Cat 6 NZ 475 single turbo.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Reason for edit: Wrong spelling
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Find the fan solenoid on the firewall inside the engine compartment. If you cant find it, follow the air line from the fan clutch back to it.

On our older Pete's it takes 12v to turn that solenoid on and send air to the fan clutch to turn the fan on. That fan solenoid has one wire strait to ground and one for powering it up. That solenoid on the firewall is where the AC fan switch and the water temp sensor also sends 12v to open the solenoid to send air to the fan clutch to turn the fan on when needed.
    Thats 3 switches that will turn that fan on water temp, AC pressure switch or the dash switch.

The dash fan switch in the on position makes the other side of the water and AC switches live as well as the fan solenoid because they all three do the same job of turning the fan on.

I'm told on newer models it takes 12v to pull in the solenoid and send air to the fan clutch to cut the fan off, which is a better system really because if that air line fails the fan stays on. If power to the fan circuit fails the fan stays on. You can tinker with that a bit and find out which one you have with some back probes and a test light.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Tripple7

Tripple7 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2017
    In My Truck

tommygun58 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.