Engine Fan Wont Turn Off

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Turbrospeed, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    did some digging and he owns a 97 freightliner with detroit 60
    In my my case when i had this issue, it turned out the ecm was bad but that was on cat motor.

Rideandrepair and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turbrospeed

Turbrospeed Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    97 Freightliner Century Class with its original S60 12.7 Engine... Last six digits of vin are 884754

4. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    I have a good feeling that you might be right because sometimes the fan solenoid will freak out and blow off mutiple times. Also i did replace the ECM last year with a supposed good used one according to the guy who installed it. Unfortunely some ahole stole my previous ecm when i use to live in Miami. What is also weird is that even with my old ecm it did the same thing sometimes.

Rideandrepair and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My 99 had a problem since new, fan would come on for no reason. Any given time, didn’t stay on always, just erratic. There was a bulletin on it. Fyda Freightliner in Youngstown Ohio. Sold Me a pigtail upgrade kit. I spliced it into the harness near the solinoid. I had to push a connector out, and crimp an end on a wire. Instructions with kit. Fixed the problem, after a years of asking everyone about this bulliton I’d heard about. Don’t know if you’re 97 was affected. Worth a shot though. My 2000 is controlled by power distribution module, located in the fuse panel, along with a few other sensors that were eliminated. It sometimes acts funny. Kicks on, for no reason. Not often, but still isn’t right. This is an old problem, it’s a Freightliner specific problem, not Detroit.

BoxCarKidd and Turbrospeed Thank this.
  6. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    Yea my truck has always done that for the past 6yrs but i guess now it really messed up, I will most likely save myself the headache and just put a switch to the solenoid so i can turn the fan on/off whenever. I prefer this since my idle up doesnt work and i have to use my triangles to keep the idle atleast 700-800 rpms, if i just leave the fan turned on, it wont be cycling every couple seconds and lower the rpms. I try my best not to idle but since i tend to drive all night and sleep until the afternoon, sometimes it gets really hot in the truck. My last resort is to change that water temp sensor in which i have there to change. I been home for the past couple days and just been lazy :laughing6:

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    Hey guys i forgot to update on what i did.

I ended up putting a switch to control the fan manually from the ground output wire. I wasnt going to pay hundreds of dollers to a shop to fix the problem and have my truck there sitting for who knows how long. If i do turn on the ac while stopped, i just flip the switch n done.

Bean Jr. and xsetra Thank this.
  8. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    It is probably either a failure your High Pressure sensor on the Air Conditioner, or a failure of the wire connecting it to the computer. Lots of times the ground fails somewhere in the harness.

9. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    I put the high pressure switch new and nothing...Am pretty sure its the ground from the harness to ecu but am not messing with that....The switch i put works perfect

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Isn’t it still going to be coming on when it’s doesn’t need to ?

11. Turbrospeed

Apr 23, 2020
    Texas
    Nope it wont because I put the switch directly to send ground whenever i want.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.