Engine hours vs Mileage

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by HarleyD, Feb 26, 2020.

  1. HarleyD

    HarleyD Bobtail Member

    29
    12
    Oct 15, 2016
    Twin Cities-MN/WI Border
    0
    I didn't know where to post but I figured someone in oil industry could answer.... I have been seeing a lot of low mileage day cabs for sale but it seems to me higher hours.
    What part of the oil industry is idling more than driving?
    Are they idling or running higher RPMs?
    Am I safe to assume not to buy a truck with a wet kit?
    T I A
     
  2. uncleal13

    uncleal13 Road Train Member

    2,900
    4,072
    Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    0
    Using a wet kit is not the same as idling. The engine is working hard while doing PTO work. A blower can draw over 200 HP, hydraulic pump can draw over 100 hp .
    Somewhere in the dash readings it should say engine hours, idle hours, PTO hours.
    You'll be looking for which ever truck has the lowest percent idle and PTO hours vs total engine hours. That will be the truck that did the least amount of work.
    Under 35 % I would consider good.
     
    Brettj3876, not4hire and x1Heavy Thank this.
  3. AModelCat

    AModelCat Road Train Member

    15,074
    60,491
    Jul 7, 2015
    The North
    0
    The truck "shouldn't" be driving 65 mph down a lease road either..........
     
    Brettj3876, RockinChair, npok and 2 others Thank this.
  4. HarleyD

    HarleyD Bobtail Member

    29
    12
    Oct 15, 2016
    Twin Cities-MN/WI Border
    0
    Thanks Uncleal, I didn't know you could "see" PTO hours like you see engine hours/miles
     
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. pushbroom

    pushbroom Road Train Member

    1,413
    5,776
    Sep 1, 2012
    0
    If you hook up a laptop you can get reports of idle time, pto time, max rpm time, and various fuel usage reports as well.
     
    SAR Thanks this.
  6. npok

    npok Light Load Member

    150
    153
    Sep 26, 2015
    0
    But it definitely happens
     
    bzinger Thanks this.
  7. not4hire

    not4hire Road Train Member

    5,988
    19,340
    May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    0
    Rentals can.
     
    npok and Swine hauler Thank this.
  8. griswold

    griswold Bobtail Member

    1
    2
    Feb 27, 2020
    0
    Cement is one of those oilfield jobs, very little drive time versus huge idle time. That goes for cab tractors especially. Ill use February as my example, as it only has two days left this month and my info is close at hand. 993 miles driven for the month and 528 engine hours for the month. Only about 15-20 of those hours were technically driving hours, per se. I will idle my truck 95% of the time at lower RPM's, only enough to prevent the truck from no idle shutting off. the other 5% is idled up at higher RPM's for building air into my equipment. Now, daycabs specifically I would assume have more miles to engine hours ratio, because those drivers work more of a rotation and don't sleep in their trucks, but, still have a lot of idle time, and most of that idle time is at higher RPM's. There are a lot of variables just in Oilfield cementing when it comes to idling time and I hope a gave a decent example.
     
    Brettj3876 and uncleal13 Thank this.
  9. Brettj3876

    Brettj3876 Road Train Member

    3,481
    10,757
    Nov 18, 2014
    Northeast PA
    0
    But the faster you go the smoother it gets lol float right over the washboard.
     
    SavageMuffin, npok and not4hire Thank this.
  10. CleverNDGuy

    CleverNDGuy Light Load Member

    59
    72
    Jan 25, 2016
    Bakken Basin
    0
    Based on experience most Frac companies have tractors that spend the entire time on the pad with exception of being taken in for service or moved to the next pad. Used to power various compressor systems. I have had the pleasure of taking them to the auctions where they have been known to still fetch 70k$ with excessive hrs and next to no miles.
     
  • Draft saved Draft deleted