Engine/ Marker Light Problems

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Spartan0229, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Spartan0229

Spartan0229 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2017
    First of all. I am a Nubiee and thank you for reading. I just bought an 2006 International 4300 DT466. For the most part I like my truck. It's a little bumpy but I can deal with. But the problem is if I turn on my Markers or manually turn on my head lights the truck starts to run bad. From a dead start it act like it has no power and when I get up to speed the turbo starts whistling weirdly, then shuts off and the yellow check engine light comes on. I took it to a (supposed to be) repair shop and after holding Her hostage for 4 days they blurt out I need a new wiring harness. They did put it on the machine using the International software and it came up with no codes. Then they used a generic software and it came up with the turbo actuator and lifter No.1 was malfunctioning. So I am at a lost and not sure where to start and I am sure it is something loose somewhere but I don't know where to start. :::::: Side note. My front top side maker was not working when I was buying this truck. They fixed it but didn't ground it good. I tighten it up and hope for the best but my problem still persist. Please Help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Take it to a dealer shop!!! Even though some shops are authorized dealer shops like TA/Petro they sometimes don't know difference from their butt and hole in the ground.

4. Spartan0229

Jul 8, 2017
    Yea the only problem with that is International in Dallas/McKinney will keep it a week and a half to two weeks before they even look at it. With me being a contractor with one truck that is paycheck suicide.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I think your truck is starving for electrical power. Check the ecm main power harness which should be fed from the batteries. Check the fuses and fuse holder terminals for being loose or corroded. Next, check your cab power supply. Look for big red cables that go through the firewall on the left hand side. They should have connectors for the outside and inside sections near the firewall on the outside. Disconnect them and also check for burnt or corroded pins. After that, International likes to cheap out and use the frame rail for the main ground between the batteries and starter/rest of the truck. So the engine and cab ground to the starter ground with a short cable bolted to the frame, and then another cable bolted to the frame near the batteries to connect to battery negative. Sometimes the connection at the frame becomes rusted and corroded and creates a poor electrical connection.

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  6. Spartan0229

Jul 8, 2017
    Thanks Heavyd! This gives me somewhere to start. I will be posting what I find as I go on this. Because I just don't have 2K to be shelling out like that of something I can do myself. Thanks again!

7. Spartan0229

Jul 8, 2017
    My OCD compelled me to go and put an eyeball on my truck to look and see what you told me. I didn't have time to do a thorough job. But this is what I found. I believe i found the Ground wires that was explained to me. I made sure that they were not loose. (I couldn't get to the one on the motor yet, but I will.) But what I did see in the third pic that the Wiring Harness is spliced into the Power terminal and wrapped up in electrical tape. To me that doesn't look normal. IMG_20170709_140036-01.jpeg IMG_20170709_140307-02.jpeg IMG_20170709_140503.jpg

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That firewall looks remarkably clean. Wiring looks good. I those main red cables are once piece with path-throughs in the firewall, so they may not have connectors. The electrical tape is somewhat normal. A good test for load testing wires is to see if the wire can brightly light a headlight bulb. If you connect one of those fuse sockets to a wire, then power up a headlight, it should light no problem. If the wire is bad the headlight will be dim. With the headlight connected and lit up, you can also wiggle the harness there to see if anything is broken. Pay close attention to any discoloration or slight plastic melting as that shows a bad connection causing heat. Also, watch your volt gauge and see if it drops off when you have the lights on.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Also, in the second picture, your fuel primer is sticking out. Push it back in and tighten it, it may be sucking some air with it out like that.

10. Spartan0229

Jul 8, 2017
    One more thing while it's on my Noone brain. If it is because the load is too strong for the 2 batteries i have. Can I add a 3rd one for more power?

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Batteries are really only needed for cranking. Three would be better, but two should be fine. Once the engine is running, the alternator is supplying all the power anyway.

Spartan0229 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.