Engine numbers not adding up part 2

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dis_bit, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    It’s a glider then, and emissions didn’t matter at the time the truck was built. And no sane person would build a glider with EGR. Fix your truck and get it back on the road. There’s no fraud. Chasing engine serial numbers is pointless.

baha, Oxbow, rollin coal and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You've had the truck how long? If the lack of emission equipment was a concern, why did you not bring it up at the time of purchase?

baha, haycarter, Diesel Dave and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I’m thinking they’re trying to not have to pay for an overhaul, just my opinion.

Siinman, Ky Flash, AModelCat and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    it looks like that, there is no recourse, they bought the truck without any guarantees it was what it appears to be and this is where that nasty term “Due Diligence” comes into play.

6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    The OP needs to call a lawyer. They could make out ok if the seller of the truck never disclosed any of this.

i know two people who earned a nice chunk of change because of rolled back odometers.

just like selling a car that was in an accident, even though it’s been fixed you still need to disclose it to any perspective buyers.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    It jas a different engine, it wasn't wrecked. If I put a salvage yard engine in my pickup and sell it am I required to tell the buyer?
    People put different components in vehicles all the time. This dude just seems worried about the legality of an older engine in his glider. Just fix it, cut your losses and get to work

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The OM wants to know how many miles the engine made it before it bit the dust.

Bean Jr., Siinman and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    It sounds to me like the OP doesn’t have a lot of knowledge when it comes to glider kits. They’re confused that it’s a 2018 but has an old engine. They’re hung up on the serial number on the block not matching Fitzgerald’s tag on the engine, but it’s a glider so all of that means less than squat. Fitzgerald was using any block that remotely close to being good enough to be rebuilt and sending them out the door because people couldn’t get enough of them. I think the OP had no idea what they were even buying and now it’s rebuild time. They want to shift the blame onto someone else when they could’ve spent the money and been rolling again by now. The 12.7 is the easiest and cheapest rebuild there is.

Last Call, Bean Jr., Vampire and 7 others Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    He mentions continuing to run paper. If he’s been running on paper logs thinking he had an 02 engine. That’s a problem. Should be glad it’s not an 02 block.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Sure would like to know the mileage.

The oil change interval too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.