Engine numbers not adding up part 2

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dis_bit, Aug 4, 2022.

1. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia

Ya Think.....:Automobile loan int
    Truck Repair Financing

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dis_bit

dis_bit Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Ok, to clarify... We ordered (and paid for) a platinum in-frame overhaul kit. Got most of those parts in before the company we ordered it from called us and told us they didn't have a head, and couldn't get one for 60 days. So WE found a head, and WE transported our old one 800 miles round trip to trade for the remanufactured one (only to find out Freightliner hadn't included the caps from our old one, costing us $300 of our core refund). Now, Freightliner has our engine pulled apart. It's been in their shop for months. We think, finally, the repairs can move forward, and we can get back on the road.... Except Freightliner calls us last week. The pistons in the kit we ordered based on the re-man block number are the WRONG ONES, and cannot be used in our engine because our engine is an old af DDEC 2 (the kit we ordered was for a DDEC 4). We also find out we are tuned at 500HP, which would be appropriate for the engine that is supposed to be in our truck, but is just beating the #### out of the engine that is actually in it. We aren't trying to get out of paying for an overhaul. We are trying to figure out what the hell happened, and what we can do about it.

Bean Jr. and wis bang Thank this.
  4. mtntopbound

mtntopbound Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Everywhere man
    As was mentioned earlier Fitzgerald probably built it out of whatever good parts they had on hand. More than likely they just used a ddec2 block. I don’t know what you have but freightliner is chasing their tail trying to figure it out by the block serial#. Early ddec4 did have the older style bolt on wrist pins as well. So your engine could very well be a ddec4 based build with something like a ddc23533033 kit and 500hp is no problem. Too bad there are hardly any mechanics left who can tell what they are working on when they tear it down, most are just parts changers.

Rideandrepair, Dave_in_AZ and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    [QUOTE="dis_bit, post: 12067477, member: 312944.]. We are trying to figure out what the hell happened, and what we can do about it.[/QUOTE]

Forgive me but why are you spending time trying to figure out what happened ? You can't change the past .. and you don't really have any .recourse..
    I would be spend my time trying to either find the correct parts to rebuild what you have already started or find a good motor to drop in and get back to work ... Thats just me
    To me it sounds like your chasing a ghost

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Like I've said before, things get changed out all the time and you should never order engine/trans/rear end parts based off of the truck VIN. Always order by the component S/N.

7. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I know I'am stupid and naive.. but I can't imagine a dealer just ordering major engine parts just off a VIN # knowing it's a glider.. .. but hey .. they must have

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    How many miles on the engine before it died? How often did it get PM'd???

Asking for a friend.

Siinman Thanks this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’m trying to figure out what good the VIN would do at all. It’s a Fitz build, so it wasn’t a powered glider from the factory anyway.

10. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I know... something isn't adding up
    So here's a problem I got..
    My truck is a 81. I run the VIN# and it doesn't match the motor in the truck .. can I go back on Paccar ?
    Just asking

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I honestly am suspecting this truck is not actually a glider.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.