Engine shuts down

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by rix005, May 16, 2016.

1. rix005

rix005 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2013
    04 ws 4900fa C-15 The engine shuts off and all gauges will quit at random. While driving or idling. I'll wait a couple minutes, while turning the key of and on, and then the volt meter will read voltage and will start. ive checked grounds.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Did you check the ground from the frame to the engine? Sounds like a ground problem but with computers, who knows? Maybe a wire loose on your ignition? Might also want to check the wires on your starter to make sure they are tight?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. rix005

rix005 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. checked that. Also the amp meter will pull 30 to 40 amps sometimes while waiting for my voltage to come back. Seems to me with a draw like that, it should blow a fuse or a wire should burn.

5. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Seems like it would? Maybe someone who has experienced the problem with that particular truck will comment on it?

6. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    The cat ecm also has the ability to shut down the engine if it senses a fault, if that parameter is enabled. so you have a lot of electrical trouble shooting to do.

7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Went on a service call once upon a time. Pet-Cat shut down.If I recall correctly found the driver sitting in the truck running with the a/c on. Whats the deal? Well yes it runs but if I drive it only goes about 150 yards and shuts off. Manual fan light comes on and fan engages at the same time. It also did something else that I do not recall. ProLink read no codes. Well drive it, and it shut down, no codes. Well drive it again and when it shuts off do not turn the key off. Then it showed an active code for erratic voltage. It had one loose battery cable on one battery. There was not a computer feed wire on it and the engine would spin if the start button was pushed.
    All that said just to say I go with Cetane+

bigmotor1212 Thanks this.
  8. Western Star 2009

Western Star 2009 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018

9. Western Star 2009

Western Star 2009 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    I ve the same problem right now did you fix yours?what was the problem?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.